Need some advise asap please

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hockeygoalie101, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Hockeygoalie101

Hockeygoalie101 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2017
    So I ve been truck driving for 6 months now, while i was at a fuel station parked in a spot. Someone came up to me and told me that I hit their truck while backing up about a hour ago in the parking lot. I just kinda laughed and thought the guy was screwing around and rolled up the window. Well when I got out of the truck to get a drink and some food inside of the fuel station I did notic a small scrape on my trailer. No body damage, just a scrape. I then proceeded to try and find the guy who came up to my truck earlier in the Night but to no prevail. Im now thinking that he might have acually been telling the truth. Im worried that in a few weeks Ima get a phone call saying that I m fired and that Ive been in a hit and run incident. This is my career and my life and I honestly dont know what to do...... if I acually did hit him I would have done the right thing and exchanged insurance. I'm worried that I really screwed up

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Didn't happen unless he has pictures

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Summarize what u just wrote into 2 sentences. Call your company (safety or claims Dept) and tell them. They need to know in advance. Maybe nobody calls. Maybe they do. You doubt you did it, but cannot be 100% sure.

CrappieJunkie and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you really had hit him, he would have called the police or at minimum exchanged insurance information.
    How do you know the scrape on the trailer wasn't already there earlier? Do you notice every little scrape or scratch on every trailer you hook up to?
    Maybe he scraped you and now trying to shift blame.

6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Just have to wait and see. If you get a call tell them you don't think you hit anything. One thing is for sure, the person who walked up to your truck. Was NOT the driver of the other vehicle. (Why?) Just think if someone hit you. Then you walked up and told them. They laughed or rolled up their window on you. Would you just walk away, or would you be taking pictures and called the cops to come out?

7. Realhuman

Realhuman Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Don't worry if it did happen he would push the issue if there is no witness's or video and you didn't realize it it probably didn't happen some drivers cause damage to there own trucks and they try to find d an escape goat you were probably it good luck and watch what's going on around you at all times and be very skeptic when somebody you don't know confronts you I hope this helps

8. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Simple question,did you try to back up in a different space an hour earlier? If so, than you might have hit him. If you didn't, the guy is ful of scrap or he has the wrong truck.

Two things stand out:
    1. You didn't deny backing up into a different spot earlier.

2. He didn't call the cops.

I would contact your safety department and give them a heads up. Let them know that the other person didn't persue the incident after you denyed it.

It may have been the ol' 'you hit my mirror, we can let it slide if you give me the money for a new one' routine.

9. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I wouldn’t think to much about it.If you hit him he wouldn’t wait an hour to say something about it.It could be probably one of two things he hit something him self and drove to the truck stop and was trying to blame someone else,you would be surprised how many drivers will do that,or if the guy was trying to lure you out to follow him behind the parked trailers to rob you that was a scam going on for a while.But if you would have hit him he’s had plenty of time to call your company and report it

10. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yeah I wouldn't tell them nothing, unless it's a small company 20 trucks or less. Because the mega's are TOO caught up in policy. I've found over the years that being too honest with these companies is almost self incriminating more than doing the right thing.

If it comes up later, just be like "oh, that scammer? Yeah I do remember some guy came up to me trying to scam me into agreeing I wrecked into him. He had no proof, I was never in the accident and he walked off once he saw I wasn't buying his story"

Waterboy334, tlalokay and nax Thank this.
  11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Try not to turn yourself in to your co. for any reason? After a police report is made up is the only time to call in!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.