Need Some Guidance: NO CALLS FROM POSTED LEADS ON LOAD BOARD

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by drduwi, May 30, 2018.

1. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I did the big money reefer for 6 yrs and just happened to have a guy want to buy my trailer offered me a decent price and I took it .... started to pull a van again until i bought a new reefer and what,a,difference I think it adds 5 years on my life lol .... no where near the headaches and the total net money is the same if not better and never bought that new reefer. .... my total lumper costs for last year was 75.00 ...... a load of watermelon to giant eagle I avoid the slow loaders /unloaders and average in and out time is around 45 minutes a big difference

jbatmick, KB3MMX and Western flyer Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I bet you bit your tongue this week, rates were incredible in the southeast with produce during the blitz. You're right though, it is a lot of stress.
    Having dry and reefer you can go back and forth when you feel like it.

4. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    I know lol produce can be $$$ at certain times and locals, ... how many loads have you ever had unloaded in 15 minutes without an appointment lol ... tanker hazmat loads ( totes ) usually will be up around 5 per mile esay on easy off ...... but only have room in my driveway for 1 trailer ...... I have had 2 in there before but you really have to want to get that 2nd one in there kinda spot

5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Open deck rates were absurd as well. I probably paid trucks north of 4 bucks a mile average this week. Paid some vans that way too.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    just hope it lasts a few years lol

7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
  8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Not a chance. There is so much money being spent right now by the shippers it's completely insane. The rates are so high that if they stayed this way for longer than 12-18 months a meaningful % of shippers would start building out their own fleets. Something will give one way or the other.

9. bacoman

bacoman Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2017

While I do agree that things will correct, I don't see shippers building fleets anytime in the near future as I firmly believe that even in today's markets freight costs are still cheaper to outsource. The inability to purchase trucks, the costs of maintenance and meeting all regulatory requirements is not cheap. The cost of finding, hiring and maintaining drivers is also an expense that most people really can't wrap their arms around. The outrageous "have to go at any rate" loads have always existed. Contract rates will go up but not through the roof for companies that truly know their operating costs and what they need to be profitable.

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Not gonna happen, they will raise prices instead. The rates are really not that high though. I would say they are just about where they should be, we are not becoming millionaires over here

SteveScott and DSK333 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.