Need some help with how to move my sons single wide

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bullhaulerswife, Mar 1, 2017.

1. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    I'm looking for advice on moving my sons single wide trailer home. We will be going less than 30 miles with it. It is a 1980 14 x 70 with 2x4 walls, but we have sheet rocked it. Axles, tires and hitch are still there. We will replace the tires before we move it. I already have spoken to the roads department about the permit and pilot cars.

I need to know what do we do to ensure the least amount of damage to the home in the move. We expect the seams on the sheetrock to crack. But what about windows, ceiling bracing?, etc. The route does have some turns, but nothing sharp, so thats good.

Just need kind of a rundown of what to prepare, etc. Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SGIT

SGIT Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    West Jordan, UT
    I'd start with at least 6 cases of beer and then video the carnage that ensues

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Hire someone that does it? Unless they would be stupid-expensive.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Thats where I would startñ BHW. I know Hub is a driver and has a truck, but as always, driving is the easy part. Ive never pulled a home. I woul blow the roof off the top.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Get a mover.
    You don't need to do anything to the home. It's made to be moved. Nothing should get damaged.

A pro will have the awnings down, skirting off, utilities disconnected, tires on axles, ready to go in two days.

Probably another 5 to set it back up, has to be tied down ( anchored ), utilities, awnings, then skirting, then inspection.

Just get a pro.

When my Dad got sick, all his doctors were one city over from us, and dial a ride wouldn't take him. I had our's moved 3 miles. $5,500.00 Cash so he knocked $300 off.

The guy said it would have been the same price to take it 30 miles.

I had some quotes as high as $9,000.

You definitely want to use a pro. If they damage something, not the home, but hit something else, then it's on them.

They say it's not made to be moved with furniture in it. My gun safe is at least 500 pounds. Just laid it down. Just have to block the fridge. I packed all the guns, ammo, dishes, glasses up, laid down the china hutch too, left everything else, except the TV's. No problem. And it's like a 1985 I think. I pretty much completely rebuilt it about 8 years ago though.

They anchor it down really well, same with awnings. We get some strait line winds here to 70 M.P.H. , no problems so far.

Packed up Dad and the furries and spent a week at the comfort suites.

Get a written estimate including lengths for water, sewer, and electrical hook ups. Make sure you can re-use the skirting, if not get in writing how much per section for replacements.

Good luck & have fun.

Oh it had an old swamp cooler on the top that had to come off. That went to the junk yard, and made a flashing for the opening, sealed and painted it. I have two MONSTER AC units I built into the walls, I didn't have to do anything with those either.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    JReding, Ruthless, albert l and 3 others Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just be sure to bring a DD (Designated Duramax).
    hqdefault-1.jpg

Hammer166, tucker, Ruthless and 4 others Thank this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It's been years since I moved one, But got pretty good at it between me and my brothers. We never moved a sheet rocked one but they are a lot more durable than you think. We also pulled the outside duals off of a 1466 IH tractor to move ours. 30 miles took 3 hours but we made it with out changing a tire. Arkansas hillbillies what can I say

9. bullhaulerswife

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    @Dave_in_AZ This one is totally redone too. We have put a lot of $$$ into the inside, just need to side it now. But not until after we move it. Lol

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. bullhaulerswife

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Did you leave the original tires on it?

11. bullhaulerswife

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    This is the problem. The quotes we are getting are so rediculous. He cannot afford that and hubby has done wide and oversized loads. We also have a tractor at our disposal to use.

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.