Need some suggestions!!

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by broker, Apr 19, 2007.

1. broker

broker Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Not sure if this is the right fourm to present this question but here it goes. I am presently a real estate broker seeking a change in life and have been seriously considered long haul trucking.
    I have never even been in a big truck but have always been pull to this industery.
    My problem is that I need to get help on getting me throught the CDL school at this time due to my pending divorce and the x has all of my money tied up. From what I can see is that there is only a few trucking companies that have new driver assistence programs; the first one I found was CRST. I have contacted them and they said that I am good to go just let them know and they will set me up to start my training the next monday.
    I have made a couple of calls to the recuriter for some questions that I had but she has not returned my calls.
    I then came onto the fourm and read the different stories posted by people that have had experience with them and decided to keep looking.
    I came upon Schneider National, who appears to be a good company. There has been a mix of comments about them and I realize that they are all subjective to the view of the person writing.
    My question is; should I go with Schneider or not and if not, are there any suggestions out there of good companies that do what they promise? Oh yea, an awesome truck is a requirment!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Schneider is probably a better choice than CRST or Swift, or JB Hunt or some of the others you will run across.

And
    is very likely going to be a pipe dream for a time. Nobody in their right mind is going to put a noob in their best truck for training. Most of the large companies don't even give their long time drivers that great of a truck. Expect to drive what they call a "fleet spec truck" from most likely Freightliner or Volvo.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Schneider has very intense training, my wife found that out.

You will be required to double-clutch proficiently. or you will be asked to leave owing for partial training before even taking the CDL driving exam.

AJ

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Also JB Hunt no longer trains, they require 3 months experience before hiring a driver, plus acceptable work history.

Schneider goes back a long way checking your driving record and your work history, way more than 5 years.

AJ

6. broker

broker Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Thank you Brikman for your comment. I am schedule to start training with Schneider on May 12; I am looking froward to it! I will try and keep a journel so I can be helpful to the new comers that follow. There really seems to be a lot of information out there about all the different companies. I think all we can do is filter through it all , find the company that seems like it will be a good fit and give them the best we have to offer... I really do believe in the words of JFK and apply it to my job as well as my country." it's not what my country can do for me, rather what can I do for my country".
    Hope to see you on the road sometime.

7. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Good luck on your new career.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.