Need Some Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Capt. Solo, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Solo

Capt. Solo Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    afton, ok
    Are there ANY companies that'll hire someonewith a criminal record. I've already posted a similiar thread on another forum and i got some good feedback. However, this time I'd like to be more specific and bare all. I got no cards about my past. Lets begin...

1994 - disorderly in a public place - misdemeanor
    1996 - distribution of cocaine - felony
    2004 - possession of paraphernalia - misdemeanor
    2004 - violation of a peace order - misdemeanor/civil

I feel bad for what I've done and I'm really tryin to turn over a new leaf. I paid my debt to society and will continue to pay for the rest of my life. However I had a classmate of mine get hired on at a trucking company recently. This man was convicted of 7 (count 'em), 7 armed robberies. He's a good dude and I got much luv for the cat. But does anyone else see a conundrum here or am i just the village idiot? I had a gun stuck in my face before and I've had a bag of weed stuck in my face before. Which one would threaten you more? Am I that much of a threat to society? Do I truly deserve to be nothing more than a guy that scrubs toilets or flips burgers? Any feedback would be nice. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlueNosedBstd

BlueNosedBstd Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2008
    New York State
    You mention a classmate that has a worse record than yours, and he got hired. How about approaching the company he signed on with?

4. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Look into Hogan. I believe they are out of Missouri. I know they were really hard up for drivers a while ago and hired alot of exchange workers (truckers from other countries) to fill the seats of the company trucks.

If you can get your foot in the door at just 1 company you can translate that into "experience" and that in turn will open more doors further down the road.

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  5. Capt. Solo

Apr 4, 2008
    afton, ok
    Called them today as a matter of fact. They gave me a big h*** no. Did I mention that I just graduated from truck driving school. I guess no otr experience makes the battle that much harder to lose.

6. Capt. Solo

Apr 4, 2008
    afton, ok
    Thanx for the advice. Went on Hogan's website. Looks like the only want drivers with 6 months driving experience. The search continues...

7. Cynical Driver

Cynical Driver <strong>"Eternal Cynic"</strong>

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    You will run into some problems.

The big companies will want either experience, or for you to have gone through "their" school. Their school can be defined as being a school they sponsor, or one they actually run, like Schneider Training Academy.

Check with your school, see who they work with for placement...

Can't believe I'm gonna say this...

If Swift is one of the companies, sign on with them, they should be willing to take you. Since you don't have to worry about a contract of enslavement, you can simply quit after 6 months and go for a place like Hogan.

The problem isn't so much the drug offense, as the type. Since it was for distribution, a lot of companies will assume you will transport drugs in their truck. They don't think people can change.

8. BlueNosedBstd

BlueNosedBstd Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2008
    New York State
    Hey Capt. Solo, I just saw this news story post by CyberGal over on the Schneider section of the site and thought of you right away.
    Would be worth giving them a call ;)

9. 21stTJ

21stTJ Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    You know something all of those offenses shouldn't even be offenses!
    Those are ALL non-violent crimes.
    If I had my own company, I would hire you.
    Our country is getting out of control!

10. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

His problem is that they aren't 5 years old, that seems to be the magic number.

11. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Sorry for the bad lead Solo. I guess things have changed for Hogan in the time since I last looked into them.

Do not give up. Apply at each and every company you can think of. It may take you 100 rejections before you find 1 that will give you a shot and then again it may be the very next call you make, you just never know.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.