Need suggestions on what to do next!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Notyouraverage, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Notyouraverage

Notyouraverage Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2019
    This is the situation. So, my fiance is a owner operator who does not have his own authority yet. He has been driving for 20 years, very good at what he does and what I'd like to call a super-preneur, meaning business is life and he loves being a entrepreneur. I support this man 1000%

The conundrum that we are facing is that he has been in the frac sand haul industry since he became a o/o 2 years ago, back then rates were great, now, not so much. The company he is currently leased to charges ridiculous fees, which he of course knows about and deals with because as you all know the expenses for everything is crazy high, so leaving right now wouldn't be the best time, but we are looking for alternatives.

He owns 4 trucks, 3 sleepers, and 1 day cab. We have two drivers on with us, consistent workers, no problem.

I truly want him to get his own authority, but its ultimately up to him, but he does respect my opinions and suggestions. I don't know if he hesitant because of the part of being responsible for all the policies etc or maybe fear of having to build history from ground up.

So, my question is, what would be the best route to get out of sand potentially, and in regards to getting our own authority and getting this income where we really want it? If OTR then in what industry that has decent rates or better than general freight, like specialty industries. What is the best route?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, because although I don't share this with him often, I get a lot of anxiety about the business and I truly want to help him reach his goals without expressing all my concerns about the finances and even his well being of working so #### hard and kinda going in a hamster circle with these greedy ### companies who take advantage of o/o.

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Someone can advise you better than me but he can lease on to another company with all of those trucks and his drivers.

4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If you are going with the game plan of getting his own authority, and leaving the frac sand gig, and running the road? If so, plan on those 2 drivers you have not staying with you. They might stay but I doubt that. They are with you because they don’t want OTR.

5. Maxiepad

Maxiepad Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I do port work. 4 trucks.Pay road 1.don't drive at all.3 getting titled.opm

6. Notyouraverage

Sep 8, 2019
    I totally agree, thank you!

7. Notyouraverage

Sep 8, 2019
    Well, one of the drivers is a family member, wouldn't leave I don't think, the other one might stay if the money is right, because he is already far from home anyways and very loyal. But definitely something to think about, thank you!

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Notyouraverage

Sep 8, 2019
    Could you explain to me what port work is? Thank you, I'm still learning as well.

9. Maxiepad

Maxiepad Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2020
    My drivers are home every night off weekends and holidays work local .1000.to 1500 per week 0 turn over

10. Notyouraverage

Sep 8, 2019
    Okay that's not bad, considering our drivers work 12 hour shifts but everyday until the wells end, and honestly with how the rates are that about all they are getting, even with 32% we pay them, plus retirement

11. Maxiepad

Maxiepad Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I pay a company to hire and dispatch .my job is to keep trucks running .road one .buys fuel and tags .saftey hiring payroll.less than 35k per year mileage .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.