Need the best drive cam.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    1) Need the best drive cam, money no object:
    a) Must be name brand

b) Must have 3 camera view, minimum. More is ok.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Probably don't want to get this one..............:

4. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I'm also looking for a minimum 3 camera setup. I need it to keep up to about 2 weeks of video on it before it loops and starts recording over existent video. Would also like shock sensor and GPS, 1080P with night vision. I'm sure you have seen this one. I have no price on it, they say its expensive?. Here is the link, , I know nothing about this company and not affiliated with them. Just a trucker looking for a good camera setup.

Lux Prometheus Thanks this.
  5. NorCenArk

NorCenArk Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Russellville, AR
    Look up diesel boss system. I have a 3 camera setup. Works good.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    336 hours of HD video would require a MASSIVE storage device. You won't find anything in the normal world of dash cams that will do that. And with 3 cameras it takes to over 1000 hours of video. You'll need something with cameras wired to a computer. Check with surveillance companies.

Expeditor Thanks this.
  7. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I'll agree with the last post. Everything on the market now will have some sort of compromise. If you have to have every feature and massive storage, you will end up customizing some sort of home surveillance system.

I have that one and it's fine. In two years I've had only one hardware problem that was a faulty power cord. They replaced it promptly. It is a Korean white box product, so the instructions and menus are a little on the lean side. If you are fairly competent with small electronics, you should be able to figure it out ok. It is a high quality item in a plain wrapper. Definitely more solid than any of the other brand name dash cams I've been through. I never got around to mounting the two mirror cameras, so that's an unknown. Maybe someday. The main camera has a good image day and night. It's a good all-around camera that produces adequate video for my needs.

It does run on the hot side, so better grab it with a towel if you take it off the glass on a hot day. If you leave it on behind your dash curtains while sleeping on a sunny hot day it might shut down. Then again, so will any other dash cam under similar conditions.

Speaking of common issues for any camera, another good habit to develop is periodically removing the memory cards, cleaning the contacts, then reinstalling them. Every so often format them with the camera for a fresh start. The cards do have a limited lifespan, so carry spares and expect to just swap them out about every 6 months or so. A memory card fault is the most common reason for dash cams to just freeze up and stop working, with overheating the second most common. At first you can just restart the camera to get past a memory problem, but eventually that won't even work and you just need to change the cards out.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.