Need to calibrate a 1999 sterling odometer

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by greaseburner, Aug 17, 2018.

1. greaseburner

greaseburner Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2013
    As the post says. anyone know what each little switch means?

Our old odometer quit working, so we got one from a junk truck and it's way off.

Any help most welcome.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Maybe just set the switches the same as the old one?

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    Great idea. never thought of that. Duh!

With that said, anyone know what he switch represents? I am thinking of changing rear ends in that truck. Thanks

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    IIRC there is a mathmatical formula specific to the speedometer that you need to fill in with info specific to your truck (tire size, number of teeth on tone ring, gear ratio etc). Once you have the equation solved then you set the switches according to the closest number in the speedometer manufacturer's manual.

6. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    Yes, anyone got that manual? We bought a digital odometer for one of the KW's a month back. It had a little code paper with it, but even it wasn't 100% accurate based on the info it requested and what we supplied. We had to change it some based on a gps unit.

Thanks

7. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    Ok, thanks. But are all settings the same for each ? I haven't looked at mine yet, but what way is closed and which is open?

8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    First off, 1999 could go either way. You either have a dual VSS or a single. If there's 4 wires on your VSS, one is for the speedo and the other is the ECM. If that's the case, then just google speedo dip switch settings you'll find the formula for the dip switch settings.

If you only have 1 plug on the VSS, then that is for the engine ECM and the speedo pulls speed from the engine. In that case, the dip switch settings stay the same and you'll need to adjust the pules per mile in the engine ECM to correct the speedo for any gear ratio/tire size change.

BoxCarKidd and swaan Thank this.
  9. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    I'm assuming the VSS he is where the plug is very close to the dip settings. If that's the case, there's a total of 10 wires. 5 on each side. There is a small space though between the 2 sets of wires though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  10. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    I tried posting a picture, but as per the norm the file won't upload even though I take the picture with the icon here on this forum.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.