Needed advice for a wannabe truck driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Schmitty30, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Schmitty30

Schmitty30 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Thank you, everybody who replied.

So what I think I'm getting is; 1. Do my research and try to get into a company sponsored program, because just having the Class-A License isn't going to guarantee I can get a job afterwards. Just be prepared to get chewed up for a year.
    2. Spotty work history and license history isn't a bar to entry. I have spotty work history, sure. But I have no criminal history, my license is pretty clean (zero points at least,) and absolutely no drugs what so ever. I could take a hair follicle test today and ace it. I'm hireable.

What I'll do is I'll keep hammering away trying to find a company to sponsor me, or even knock on some doors for training (maybe in exchange to be a team driver?) or etc as some suggested. As a last ditch effort I can try to set up a deal where I put myself through school to be reimbursed and hired by a company upon completion, and hopefully that will give any company's considering giving me a chance that last nudge to. I'll post here how it all turns out, eventually.

Again thank you for the advice, everybody.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Freymiller and SRT will reimburse tuition.
    CFI has their own cdl school - www.cfidrive.com

Schmitty30 Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You will only need 3 years of work history if you are just starting with the learners cdl so its not going to be as hard as you think?

Schmitty30 and tscottme Thank this.
  6. web9204

web9204 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2019
    @Chinatown do you know how much their training costs? Although I am on the east coast now I ultimately want to move to Nevada so I may end up doing my training out west.

Schmitty30 and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. TomB80

TomB80 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Bayville, NJ
    Chinatown are these all companies who hire out by you?

Schmitty30 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know the cost for that school.
    Better to call and ask -> www.swtdt.com
    In-House Financing
    For students who do not meet state grant requirements, Southwest Truck Driver Training offers an in-house tuition program to help meet your needs. We offer affordable payment plans to suit your needs. Loans payments typically do not start until 45 days after graduation which gives you time to secure a driving position before making any payment. Contact a Financial Aid Representative to find out more about this program.

Schmitty30 and web9204 Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Freymiller and SRT hire from that school and both reimburse tuition back to you.
    Here's some more, but not sure if they reimburse tuition; call and ask. These companies hire Las Vegas area drivers.
    Pride Transport - @Snowshoes can answer questions.
    Leavitt's Freight Service
    Roehl Transport
    Calex Logistics
    Decker Truck Line
    Britton Transport - for info -> @MrEd
    James H. Clark & Son
    Mountain Valley Express
    Kold Trans

Schmitty30, Snowshoes and web9204 Thank this.
  10. Traveling

Traveling Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Having a CDL is not a guarantee you would get a decent job, you will more than likely be able to land any kind of job. As long as you have no history of drug/alcohol abuse and no major traffic accidents like rolling over a truck you should not worry about being jobless, mega companies have plenty of vacant positions not too many drivers are interested in.

Example: Dollar General account in Janesville WI for a mega company, all Class A CDL holders eligible, no experience necessary. As a driver you would be unloading 40,000 lbs trailers by hand on top of driving, delivery areas Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, some Iowa and North Dakota. Soon the long winter will come and you would be spending hours outside moving rolltainers around in brutal weather conditions up there. You may ask for a transfer to a different region if one is available and do the same thing under 90+ degree weather or whatever the temperature is inside of dusty trailers during summers. The pay is not that great when divided by the number of work hours put in weekly for a newbie.

There are positions much worse than that like when a shady trucking company, in order to maximize its profit, instructs you to do things against DOT rules and puts you at a risk to lose your driver's license. That kind of company is hiring all the time having a high turnover rate of drivers. You will have a choice, make a wise choice.

11. Traveling

Traveling Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Yes. You are probably in a better position than some such as immigrants with short work history in the U.S.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.