Never been through DOT inspection

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Jun 11, 2016.

  1. Jdm5jdm5

    Jdm5jdm5 Light Load Member

    175
    54
    Apr 13, 2016
    0
    What exactly do they look for as far as brakes go? Mainly the width of the pads?
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. alghazi

    alghazi Road Train Member

    1,173
    4,265
    Aug 29, 2014
    0
    Yeah. They're from the government and they're here to help. (rolls eyes)
     
  4. Kyle G.

    Kyle G. Road Train Member

    1,859
    8,072
    Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    0
    Exhibit A
     
    dog-c Thanks this.
  5. alghazi

    alghazi Road Train Member

    1,173
    4,265
    Aug 29, 2014
    0
    My comment was directed less at DOT and more at your virtue-signaling defense of them.
     
  6. DDlighttruck

    DDlighttruck Road Train Member

    1,387
    19,910
    Dec 12, 2015
    0
    HUT sticker, annual safety, IFTA paperwork, valid insurance slip. Owner ships for truck AND trailer.

    Fire extinguisher and triangles are part of your pretrip. It's a fine and points for not using triangles if you break down.

    Having some way to depress the brake pedal so you can check brake lights/stroke length.

    If you pull van, make sure the walls are straight so you don't get an OOS for being overwidth.

    If you need to scale after loading, GO AROUND THE WEIGH STATIONS (chicken coops) and find a CAT scale. THEN get on the road and go into the coop. Oh, they'll scale you, you just might not like how much they charge you vs. the $10 at a Peelot.
     
  7. ChaoSS

    ChaoSS Road Train Member

    3,340
    6,742
    Sep 20, 2014
    0
    That depends. Some guys are really cool. I got a level one a month or so back, no problems. After he finished his inspection he dragged me back under the trailer to show me some stuff that wasn't necessarily a violation, but probably could have been if he felt like being a dick, but he wanted to show me things that he felt I should keep an eye on in the future because they were getting close. (tire stuff).

    Other places have no sense of humor, and they are looking to ruin drivers. There are guys who will brag about being able to find violations on a new truck or trailer, and places that you probably will not get out of them without being written up for something.
     
    snowlauncher and Audiomaker Thank this.
  8. DustyRoad

    DustyRoad Road Train Member

    1,540
    17,096
    Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    0
    After spending how much time and money to learn what your job requires you to daily, you ask us what does the dot man look for? He is looking to see if you are doing your job correctly. Skip a pre-trip? Failure to keep your log up to date, failure to have all the permits in order, medical certificates...?.There's a good chance they can do a vehicle inspection better than you, and one day they will prove it. You have to be better at it than they are. You better known every detail on that truck before the cops find it and write up you and the vehicle.

    Bottom line, your company does not want dirty inspections.
     
  9. Bob Dobalina

    Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

    2,547
    4,335
    Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    0
    He may be, but when you insult someone's intelligence it is important to use proper spelling and punctuation, like this:
    "You're an idiot."
     
  10. JAYRODPA

    JAYRODPA Light Load Member

    157
    107
    Apr 10, 2009
    Dingmans Ferry pa
    0
    Drive at night. make life a hole lot easier. know where the scales are. and learn the routs to stay away from scales that are 24/7
     
    snowlauncher, Chattduck and str8t10 Thank this.
  11. rearview

    rearview Medium Load Member

    325
    9,527
    Nov 8, 2014
    Tenakee Springs
    0
    not the width.

    they check brake adjustment and thickness of brake shoe. 98% of the time you do not have to worry about brake adjustment on the new self adjusting brakes. the other 2% is when the adjuster malfunctions. so if you do not check your brake adjustment you are playing the odds that 2% won't sneak up on you.

    they look at the air line hoses going into the can (check for cracks and leaks)

    They also look for brake drum cracks.

    Some will look at the frame for cracks and saddle wear while they are there
     
    Audiomaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted