Never had DOT say squat about my GPS mounting location

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Timin770, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Until a couple days ago I-20 EB in GA, Grovetown weigh station (just before you get to Augusta)

I've always mounted my 770 and 780's in the bottom left corner of the windshield. The young girl officer who did a level 2 on me who appeared frustrated when every single inspected item was perfect and documentation was impeccable. I didnt get a ticket but she wrote me up for the GPS. The unit was mounted literally as low as you can get it without cutting away the dashboard.

I have always known that they dont want anything mounted in the 'sweep' range of the wipers, but in this case it would mean mounting way up high in the middle or way over on passenger side. No room left on the dash without blocking critical controls and/or DOT-mandated electronics.

The GPS is going to stay where it is, by God

Omega1 and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    I have personally been written up for the same thing in Texas . My co driver was written up in Michigan and one driver in Ohio. This is something that is not enforced by all LEO, but is still a violation that a person can be dinged for. We all have moved ours to a more compliant location.

4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Proof to all the bootlickers that strongly believe that "DOT is ok with me, I don't do anything wrong and I drive a new truck" that the DOT is not on your side

Bean Jr. and Timin770 Thank this.
  5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Do what I do....Drive an Old Truck-Dress with a Uniform- Act Like you "Been there before" And wont you bothered.

I NEVER get inspected and I Drive Old,Wore out Truck BUT i keep it Clean and Healthy,

If You Look "Young" driving a Newer Truck dressed in Beach Attire- Their Gonna pick you apart like a Dog feasting on a T-bone.

Studebaker Hawk, 12 ga, mhyn and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Have my GPS on the ELD unit. So it mounted to the dash. Company is paying like $10 a month for it. It nice having it all on one display.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The reason I won't mount it high is because we all know sooner or later the suction cup will let loose and you risk breaking the screen on a $400 GPS unit or it distracts you and causes a crash
    No chance of me looking young LOL

8. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    I'm 76 and don't look a day over 80!

9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    You didnt tell her everything was perfect and impeccible before the inspection, did you? Young officers concider that a challenge!

10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Sometimes it could be how you act in front of them. If you act snobby and uppity you bet your can they’re going to find someway to get you. But if you respond respectfully and not just brown nosing they MIGHT give you some slack. And then there are some of them that are just real SOBs don’t give a darn about the next guy.

roshea and SteerTire Thank this.
  11. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Here, hope this helps you understand it..I included a link

The five-year waiver applies to any motor carrier mounting a GPS on the windshield. The waiver allows the mounting of GPS devices no more than four inches below the upper edge of the area swept by windshield wipers and no more than 7 inches above the lower edge swept by windshield wipers would not obstruct the drivers’ view of the road.

FMCSA adds that it “strongly encourages” drivers using GPS devices under this waiver to minimize or avoid distraction by programming the device before driving, stopping to reprogram the device if necessary and enabling the voice command on the device instead of muting it to avoid glancing at the display.

FMCSA grants waiver to allow GPS mounting on windshields in ‘safety technology’ area

roshea and SteerTire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.