Never Rule Out Towns Auto Parts

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Final Drive, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It is IMO. Totally different design. I had a 92 WS, Sanden lasted 1 million miles. Next Truck 99 Freightliner, with 172k, York was bad when I bought it. They put a reman on it. Replaced it twice, under the one year warranty. Third one lasted 1.5 yrs. The remans Clutches would wobble, right out of the box. I paid for the fourth one brand new, not reman. It lasted a few yrs. Next Truck, current Truck, I put at least 4 on in 7 yrs. I literally hate them. Actually went 2 summers w/o AC after last one went bad. Current Sandens going on 3 yrs. First one lasted only 1 yr. only because I accidentally overfilled it, with the can upside down. Split the case wide open. Oops!! Don’t do that!! Sanden has a rotary wobble type 7 valve system. It’s pretty impressive and simple. Everything from the unit itself to the internal design is balanced much better than the upright York design. York used to be bulletproof I’ve been told, about 40 yrs ago. They were cast iron, once they went to aluminum, when the clutch goes bad, the heat usually distorts the shaft bearing, and it’s shot. I’ve changed a few clutches, except for once, the compressor itself failed soon afterwards. The clutch is easy to change. 4 bolts, and 1 center bolt. But usually it’s a waste of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I put a York on my truck about 4 years ago and haven't had any problems with it but you're right, the clutch had had a massive wobble to it since day one. Almost like the shaft is bent. I've overcharged it many times too. Hopefully mine doesn't self destruct like yours did. I didn't know about the design differences between the styles. I always thought it was just a matter of shape for positioning under various hoods and engine combinations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.