Never saw one like it.....

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by homeskillet, Jul 19, 2018.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I got passed by a very different trailer today. I'll describe it, and if anyone can enlighten me as to it's purpose, I'll be grateful.

First off, it was an Usher Transport 400 series, if that helps.

It was double conical, "belly drop", but it had four API outlet valves like a gas tanker. It also had vapor recovery piping like a gas tanker.

It had a smoothbore tank profile, that is, when viewed from behind, it looked like an oval stood on its end, rather than an oval on it's side, like a gas tanker.

Three spill boxes on top, manifolded together. Full length catwalk with collapsible railing. Placard holders but no placards.

All the caps on the API valves had seals on them.

I figured either it had been steamed and certified vapor free, and was enroute to have work done, OR it was carrying a purity-controlled product.

But if it was carrying product requiring vapor recovery, I would think it would need placards.

Anyone know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    A lot of trailers that have vapor recovery transport both haz and non haz products to places that don't require vapor recovery. It's there if needed but not always used.

Bud A. and homeskillet Thank this.
  4. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Something like this?

UsherTransportIntlEagle9200PneumaticTanker.jpg

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Nope, it was definitely a liquid tanker. It looked like a cross between a food grade and a gas tanker.

Pretty detailed die cast truck,btw....yours?

6. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    No. Found it on the internet. I was picturing a trailer like that. My mom's old company use to run trailers like that.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Vapor recovery was just starting to creep into the Chem side just as i left. Anything set up for Vapor would be a permanent modification. Sometimes a trailer was modified, or purpose built, for a specific customer and once the need is gone, the trailer is put in general service. Sounds like a four pot conical trailer with vapor and bottom loading. Maybe set up for chlorinated solvents as they were ozone depleting chemicals.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    It almost sounds like a trailer that hauls admix chemicals to ready-mix concrete plants.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Company I use to work for ran a few vapor recovery trailers... They were older and didn't look like what you describe... But what you describe sounded like it would work very well for what we did.

They hauled Vapam and or Telone... soil fumigants... Very hazordous. But in the off season they were cleaned out and used to haul liquid fertilizer, which is generally non hazardous and doesn't require vapor recovery.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Are you trying to tell me, a old bulk product tanker man that I have to deal with dust and material to recover from the pumping in addition to getting the product into the silo?

Maybe I am the stupid and slow one here asking a dumb question and deserved to be laughed at by all. But if they are trying to do some sort of capture that far down past all the possibilities, I would be very surprised indeed.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.