New 22 year old o/o trouble finding insurance at my age?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sgonza101, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Hey guys I'm 21 about to be 22 on May, planning on buying a semi truck but I'm having trouble finding a insurance that'll cover me. (Most dont want too. I got a ticket in my car for rolling a stop sign so that pops up and doesn't help the case at all... ) I plan on just driving in California. I've had my license since December 2017. Do you guys have any suggestions on insurances? My D.O.T. number is new. Also do you guys have a ball park on the price? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    all i can say is what i have heard from o/o's in the past..."no experience, too young...EXPENSIVE".

you may not want to hear this, but bank the money for about 2 years, minimum, and get yourself some experience?

you claim to have had your CDL since 2017, but have you actually driven CDL trucks since then? or is it only your operators license since 2017, and you just got your CDL.???

you're kinda vague

good luck to you.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Bro with all you stated about being young as you are and only having a license for 2 years, you are gonna have rediculous rates you can’t afford as a new owner operator. And that would be if anyone took a gamble on you. But hey don’t give up. Get a hold of an insurance agent from a friend or family member that has an agent. I got incredible rates from an agent. Yeah you have to pay a one time commission. Best of luck

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    My dad is a o/o I've been driving with him since I was 18. Experience I do have not to toot my own horn. But yeah I do drive well. I'm expecting it to be high in price. Thanks for the luck.

buddyd157 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Slow down and do it the smart way. Drive someone else's truck for a year or two. Let them pay for most of your mistakes until you stop making mistakes.

Hitting curbs with steers can get expensive. Going the wrong way and getting stuck in front of a low bridge, making yourself late to a receiver with a late penalty, is not fun. Flattening a stop sign or putting tandems in a ditch when you should have made a better button hook turn...

Not saying you will make those mistakes exactly but you WILL make mistakes. Some of those mistakes will cost money. Working for someone else, you might pay some part of them. Working for yourself, you own all of it.

IMHO, unless you have at least a year of experience in an applicable field, you should never, under any circumstances, invest more than a trivial amount of money into self-employment.

7. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    This is becoming a big nightmare. Doing what I like and not being able too. But I'll keep trying. Maybe when I turn 23 that'll help.. Thanks man.

8. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Ive only been an owner operator for 2 years. The problem is that when you contact alot of insurance carriers with a vin number of a truck and ask for an insurance qoute, most dont even respond back and if they do, your gut becomes numb. Thats why i say to you, find an insurance broker that will do all the work for you and find the best price and even pulls a few strings. I have a broker through my moms real estate company she works for. And my rates are thousands and thousands of dollars lower than guys i know that have been in the bussiness for years. and yes i carry the same if not more on my policy. I get asked all the time my brokers number. I cant do that becuase the broker on works for company people and family members.

9. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    The insurance company doesn't care how "well" you drive. You could tell them that you drove to Alaska blindfolded and they wouldn't care no more than the man in the moon.

They don't wanna insurance you because of the following reasons
    1. your not 25
    2. you've only have your license legally since December 2017
    3. Experience doesn't mean **** unless its on paper.

BUT the good news is IF you have cash on hand they will write you. Progressive WILL write you with approx $12,000 down.

buddyd157 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Progressive is about the only ones who'll touch you, they insured me and I'd had my cdl for no time at all and had a lot more than just roll through a stop sign on my record. I don't know if they do new authority's anymore though I was told they were done with those in 2018.

11. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    I'm thinking about maybe asking my dad to get progressive and maybe I can go under his name.

Rideandrepair and OldeSkool Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.