New Adventure with PRIME INC. Take Two.

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Broshears, May 1, 2017.

1. Broshears

Broshears Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    Hello Y'all,

I know some of you regular members are still around, I left PRIME back at the end of 2015 for a local job, well to put a long story short I'm currently sitting in my room at Campus Inn here in Springfield, MO.

This time around its a tad different situation on leaving to come back to PRIME, Left soon to be wife and two kids back at home but having to do this to better provide for them.

So this is going to be my journal as to the experience of being a rehire back at PRIME.
    Oh did i forget to mentioned since I was gone for over a year from Prime they're making me do a 15k refresher course oh fun! Good news is I already have my trainer lined up.

I arrived last evening got checked in, filled out all the paperwork handed to me then.
    Day 1: Reported to class, instructor comes in has us bring all of our Driver Licenses up to him to verify them and room #, I get up to him and hes like you're not supposed to be here till tomorrow(Tuesday) at 7am.

So recruiter had me come a day earlier then what i was supposed to. That's fine I go to the computer lab to see if i can get started on my CBT's well guess they changed the ways things are done now i can't even get started on them until my class tomorrow so this has been a waste of time so far today. Can't do anything, but at least they provide meals for us that are here early so that's awesome.

Waiting on a call back from my recruiter to make sure all the paperwork is squared away and I'm not missing a class or something I'm supposed to do today but everyone I've talked to here at the hotel tells me tomorrow.

What to do for rest of the day? Can't sleep just slept all night so i guess sit back, and relax. Thankfully i remembered to bring my laptop with me so i guess sit back, relax and watch some Netflix or something.

ethos, tscottme and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Let me guess, you worked longer hours
    For less money at the local job.

4. Broshears

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    Longer hours, less money yeah. It was a trade off to spend more time with my family though.

Unfortunately the company I worked for bought out a smaller company and my hours went form 60-70 hrs a week to barely 40 and being paid hourly that was a drastic pay cut.

Was unable to pay bills if i would have stayed and tried finding another local job but wasn't really anyone hiring besides the construction companies and with all the rain we have been having they haven't worked in over a week so yeah that was out of the question.

5. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

6. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    The whole trick to local is ...... Don't work for a trucking company. I had a few local driving jobs best one was probably a construction company. At work at 6 am done at 3 in the afternoon with an occasional Saturday to collect some wonderful time and a half pay. Trucking is ok it's normally the trucking company that is stupid and subhuman.

augiedoggie41 Thanks this.
  7. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Best of luck to you sir !!!!!!!

8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    So you left prime went local, then decided you had to go back to prime. How much experience do you have driving? And why in the hell would you go back to a starter company?

crb Thanks this.
  9. Broshears

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    I worked for a company hauling trash and recycle. Wasn't a trucking company, I just hauled to landfills and sorting facilities

Say what you will about prime wether it's from your own personal experience or here say I did well at prime before I left.

I chose to go back to prime as I live an hour and a half away from the main terminal. I looked into other companies, nonething that didn't offer any better pay than prime did and with terminals further away or stricter policies on home time etc. Or I would have to have been stuck in a one year contract for 2 days of flatbed training.

Prime is a good company wether it's for new drivers with no cdl or drivers already with experience. It's what you make of it, I had good luck with prime in the past so why not give them another shot again?
    The terminal is close to my house, plenty of shippers or receivers in my area so it would be easier to get home when I need to.

Like I said before say what you will, it works for some and not others. I like what prime has to offer me.

10. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Welcome back, Bro.

You know I wish you the best. Already know you have a good head on your shoulders & going to do just fine. You did well before & will continue same going forward. Good luck on the jump & new adventure skateboarding.

Kinda jealous of the young whipper snapper giving the flats a go. Maybe, just maybe......one of these days.

Now......get done with that boring ### orientation & get your butt back out here!

My regards to you & the family. Good talking to you again.

:thumbup:

Broshears and AtticusRoad Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You know people work in coal mines not because they have a passion to go in to a hole in the ground with a flashlight but because it pays the bills. It's a good thing to take care of your family. I've gone back to past companies before. You know what you are getting and you get back in the groove faster. Good luck to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.