New alternator now wont start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by JonJon78, Oct 20, 2018.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I installed new alternator today and now the truck want start. It wont turn over.... what did I do wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    It always helps when the trucks in neutral stupid!!!! I had my blonde moment of the day.

4. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    Well at least you got it figured out!!!
    I tried to start my truck the other month with it in gear, first time I had ever done that....after the 3rd time turning the key I figured it out. My mind was already racing with what the heck is going on here!!!

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Another issue I had was I bought a new pully to put on even though dealer said I could use the old one, but after hand tightening it still had like a half in of space between it and the alternator so when I tried tightening it that thing inside the alternator just kept spinning... I didn't know what to do so I just installed the alternator with the pully and figured after I put the belt back on it would be easier to tighten LOL

It didn't work it kept spinning... So I ended up taking a screw driver and putting it in the alternator to hold that thing from spinning while I tighten it... I know they say you aren't supposed to do that...

I watch a video online afterwards and a guy did it using impact wrench...

I've got an impact, had I of known...

Is using the impact the proper way that pully is supposed to be tighten on the alternator or is there another way?

6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Thats what i use. Tighten with wrench best i can. Then zap zap, don't let it hammer on it very long. Watch the socket turn as it gets tight. I hate to hammer on the alternator very long. Done many this way and never ruined one yet. Hope this makes sense.?

thaistick and JonJon78 Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Yes, your doing it with the impact if I understand correctly?

8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Yes with impact.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sometimes just taking a 5 min break, and posting to Truckers Report, is enough time to figure things out, LOL!

10. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Still having starting issues. Installed new starter last month, alternator yesterday...

Every morning truck doesn't wanna start.. Just clicks when I go to start...

Paid peterbilt $300 a little over a month ago to check everything which they claim was good.

In the morning after it wont start I'll turn my apu on, then the truck starts right up... My batteries are 18 months old maybe I need them replaced now?

All connections appear to be fine... Is it possible that Big Black fuse that's in the fuse box I thinks it's called main line fuse or something like that needs replaced?

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Start at battery cable connections at the batteries and than back at the starter. Inspect the ends and wiggle the lugs at the end to see if the wire is all rotted away in the lug.

stillwurkin and JonJon78 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.