New and considering entering the job/life but not sure of some things

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by ReachingEOL, Jul 2, 2020.

1. ReachingEOL

ReachingEOL Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2020
    What do you mean about Xanax being a disqualifier unless I omit the information? Im a bit confused, its not tested for on a 5 panel DOT test so if I say nothing they wouldnt ever know, right? Of course thats totally leaving out the hair test which Im sure tests for more than just the 5 tested for on the DOT test. I also responded to you at the bottom as well.

Some people just want to glance over long posts like mine and not read them fully and I get it, Im wordy lol. Thanks to you both for taking the time to read mine fully and I appreciate the info you both had to offer.

The anxiety is more of a night time thing, like when Im trying to fall asleep, I end up rehashing stuff thats bothering me way too often and it keeps me from sleeping, and Ive been on and off Xanax for many years and dont take it nearly enough to have it be an issue, its more of a sleep aid to shut my brain down.

At points in time I stop for weeks/months without ever missing it until life stress kicks in and I can show prescriptions for it if I have to. I dont see driving as a stressor, I actually enjoyed my time driving a NYC taxi, etc between meeting all kinds of people and having no real boss to bother me it wasnt stressful. When I ran my own IT business in NYC that was stressful, dealing with people who wanted my time and work for nothing, etc. so Im not worried about trucking stressing me out to any great extent. I understand it can be stressful but its a kind of stress I think I can deal with pretty well.

As for the hair test Im going to have to grow my hair on my head out a bit so they dont go for body hair, I guess Ill look like a mad scientist for a bit when that comes around since Im used to being shaved bald. The alternative with be finding a company that only urine tests which will probably be my best bet.

Again thanks to you both for your helpful answers.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ReachingEOL

Jul 2, 2020
    To clarify I ended up being developing an allergy to Amlodipine (BP meds) after being on it for years with no issue and I mean a serious put me in the hospital 20 times in 18 months kind of allergy because no one suspected it was the culprit, add in a few bad doctors misdiagnosing me with crazy things that were disproved, and in trying to get my BP managed after stopping everything, the Dr suggested pot, so thats how I landed in that boat.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    If I used the word "unless" in that reply exactly as you repeated, I apologize. I meant to say they can, may, and WILL disqualify you IF you do not reveal the use, especially when requested.

While you are correct that a DOT standard drug test will not detect Xanax, many trucking companies are not keen on hiring those who hide using a drug which has a proved record of user abuse. You may be responsible with it's use, but how do they know that? They don't. Many of the major companies will not allow it, even if it's needed. I know Prime won't. They told us that directly, and Xanax was one of the drugs they will not allow. They are not alone. The bottom line is if the drug affects your mind or body at all for any reason, they will not let you drive.

Also, a DOT test may have limited "panels," but that will not stop a company from using a 7 or 10 panel. Hair tests are not yet DOT approved and reportable, but many still use them for a longer look back at your personal history. The companies are limited as to what they can report to FMCSA, but not limited on how and for what they test. They are also not limited from reporting the full results on your DAC (if they use that service). If they do the latter, it will have the same effect on your career as an official FMCSA entry EXCEPT...you'll still have an active CDL.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying there are companies which have policies in place for these things, even if not DOT required. It's best to be upfront and proactive about the use of Xanax, even before they ask.

As for the MJ use, as long as you can pass the company DOT test and are NOT using at any time afterward (even once in awhile) you do not need to reveal that. Just ask about the Xanax thing. That's what they'll worry about. Do it before they waste time and money on someone they may boot from orientation (as in, before you actually leave your home). The worst a company can do is say no to you. Not all will do that.

With the Xanax, honesty is the best policy.

ReachingEOL Thanks this.
  5. ReachingEOL

Jul 2, 2020
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond in depth here its unbelievably helpful. I wasnt aware of the DAC so thanks for letting me know. I would rather be honest about my Xanax use because I am not abusing it and its fully sanctioned by my Dr. What percentage of companies do you think would using Xanax disqualify me from being hired by? Is it a 50/50 thing or are 90% are going to say its not acceptable?

So to be clear the best time to ask would be when talking to a recruiter or hiring person at the outset of any opportunity or even just calling and asking now even? And would the best way be to say I take Xanax to help me sleep on occasion under my Drs supervision, is this OK with your company? I just dont want to end up with a CDL that is a worthless piece of paper or even worse do something that ends up recorded somewhere as a huge black mark which makes me unhirable for 5 years. The reason I say 5 years is because I think I read somewhere thats how long a mark on the FMCSA stays with you, is that correct? Also how long until a black mark on a DAC goes away if ever?

EDIT: I found something answering my question about the DAC, its 10 years from what I saw.

6. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX

No problem! I will always let you know if I do not know something so you can ask elsewhere. I lot of this stuff I learned pretty recently as well as over time otherwise. DAC would be one.

I have always known about DAC, but there are things I learned regarding that fairly recently. For example, although any trucking company can submit information if they so desire, it's usually the ones that use services of the company running that database. HireRight. DAC is not an official government report, but it is a standard with quite a number of companies. HireRight also runs Tenstreet, which is the company behind all the "intelliapp" application links. Intelliapp=Tenstreet=HireRight. If it's a Tenstreet application, HireRight is the information company that provides a DAC. DAC is a background check report, the most used in this industry. Even if a company does not use Tenstreet's Intelliapp services, they can still use HireRight. They only things on DAC are things reported. For example, the only job I have listed on my DAC is Prime from 2015. Looking solely at that report, it's as if I haven't worked since. LOL

You can get a free copy of your DAC once per year. If a company to which you applied is doing it's job correctly, you may even get a current copy from and through them. Just go to the HireRight website to request one. You probably don't need to at this moment since there'd be no record of you.

I cannot guess at the percentage you request. I think it's best to take it company by company, since the Xanax use would really be a policy at company level.

Of course, ask a recruiter, but not rely on those answers. As nice as some seem, too many will say anything to get you on board with their company. Some recruiters are now 3rd party, so they get paid for each hire (as much as $1000 per person, in fact) - assuming those get through orientation, any training, to the point of actual hire. Some drivers don't even show to orientation, which means that recruiter gets nothing if 3rd party (and nothing beyond base pay if company employed). Although you can find recruiters who are honest and MAYBE have had this job at one time, as a general rule they are not to be trusted beyond the basic information you can find on your own. So, asking a recruiter about legal Xanax usage might not yield a proper answer. For THAT...call their Safety department. Safety WILL have that information.

Ask recruiter first, then call back to ask Safety. If the answers match, you're good to go. If the answers do not match, believe Safety. Take it case by case, because each company may have different policies than others regarding the same things.

The only reports that go to FMCSA are those the FMCSA approves. Hair tests are not yet DOT certified, but they are still used. As such, FMCSA will not have information of a failed HAIR test. Right now,k that's strictly company level. However, failed HAIR tests can be reported to DAC, which can have the same effect from those companies using DAC. I do NOT know how long DAC holds such reports, but it will be long enough to effectively derail a driver's career.

If you are approved for Xanax use for a company, GET IT IN WRITING before you take the wheel. Make sure any trainer you have is aware of that BEFORE you get in his/her truck (they may not approve, regardless of company allowance). Fact is, if you cannot sleep in a constantly bouncing, rattling, and noisy vehicle, that occasional usage might turn into every day.

No matter what, your CDL will not be worthless over this. It's good that you're asking these questions now, though (before getting it). Take this time to come up with a list of desired companies taking students of rookies, call them. Remember, first recruiter and THEN Safety...for each on your list. If satisfied, take the time to submit an application or few and then go from there. You'll be fine, but do the homework required.

Even if Xanax wasn't a concern here, I'd say the same thing. Do the homework on every target company, come up with a list of questions to ask aside from what is discussed here (hometime, training, schooling, pay, etc), and ask away. MOST are happy to answer without a corresponding application already sudmitted. Some...sadly...will not answer questions without an app. Stay away from those companies (my advice).

ReachingEOL Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.