New at May Trucking Company of Brooks, OR

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Burrito Smuggler, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Burrito Smuggler

Burrito Smuggler Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Lodi, CA
    Over two months ago I packed my bags, said goodbye to my wife and two young boys, boarded a Greyhound bus heading north from Lodi, CA, to Brooks, OR. May Trucking Company put me and the other prospective drivers in our own individual rooms for the duration of our three day orientation. I was hired on day three and put with a temporary trainer for a couple days until my road trainer could swing through and pick me up. Both trainers were great. Having been out of the truck for eight years, I found in these trainers treasure troves of contemporary experience and company knowledge that is invaluable. After two weeks with my road trainer, I went solo, was assigned a truck, and hit the big road as a 48 states O.T.R. company driver.

My first load took me back home for a few days off. My next load took me back up to Oregon. From there I did a couple local runs, then picked up a refrigerated load of trees in St. Paul, OR, and drove straight to Massachusetts--awesome! I've since been all over this great country. I'm currently still on my first real run. Because my Pete 587 needs parts that had to be ordered, I'm spending a whole week in a hotel room in Baton Rouge, LA. My D.M. just informed me that I'll be getting a brand new truck asap.

I'm in the process of learning how to work for May Trucking Company. One problem that immediately reared an ugly head is that May often makes appointments too tight. It has been a struggle to figure out how to make some of these dispatches work. Sometimes I take one look at the Qualcomm, laugh, and say, "No way that's going to happen. " Also, they don't give you time to make fuel stops or get trailer washouts. With May, it's easy to end up running late everywhere you go until you get the whole system figured out. I feel I'm on the verge of having it all nailed down, and things are getting easier.

I look forward to receiving any advice and or questions.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    When I was with May this being almost 4 years ago it was just the opposite, always had too much time and ended up sitting a lot. I think much depends on who your dispatch is.

Burrito Smuggler Thanks this.
  4. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    Do you have washout often? I was under the impression that Western 11 was mostly dry van.

5. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    When I did W11 it was 99% dry van,very little wash out.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  6. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Met a May driver a few weeks ago, told me his truck was set at 61mph,,,way to slow.

7. Burrito Smuggler

Burrito Smuggler Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Lodi, CA
    I drive 48 states and haul a lot of food grade products. So, yes, washouts can sometimes be after every load.

8. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    That's what mine was set at.

9. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I suppose you are on e-logs. Can you do the 8 hr splits on occasion. Husband does not work for May, and he has had to use the 8's sometimes to deliver a load on time.

I think all companies have the schedules set either with too much time, and then the next week it is so tight that a 5 min delay would put you late. Sales seem not to be too bright when they pick up these loads as far as timing, maybe if you had a jet. Your FM/DM should be watching, but that doesn't mean they do. A lot of times you will know when they are training new people, with all the goof ups.

Back a long time ago when he was at US X, they would send out loads late and it got to be a pain. He would send in the macro with the ETA, sometimes it was way later than what they had set the appointment at, it just got there when he got there. Now everyone wants you to stick to a set time. Do you get detention when they take forever to unload you?

10. 6daysontheroad

6daysontheroad Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    North of the Rio Grande
    Last winter had a May truck pass me on I 80 over around Elk Mountain in Wyoming during a blizzard. Seemed like he was doing a lot faster than 61. About 5 miles later I passed him he was in the median facing the other direction. :confused:

11. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Prolly a leased on owner not a company truck,my Walsh truck is gov'd at 62 and I pass lots of May trucks on the 5 doing about 61. That Elk Mtn area sure eats a lot of trucks in the winter,saw 5 wrecks up there the first trip in the May truck going to Denver for beer. Maybe the refer division (48 state) got a bump in speed since I left, dunno but I doubt it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.