New Authority power Only...Help me Plz!!!!1

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by FreezingHot32, Jun 23, 2021.

1. FreezingHot32

FreezingHot32 Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Upstate SC
    Am I doomed to fail?????Extremely new authority, 3 years of clean EXPERIENCE!!!! All advice appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Might be difficult to get loads from some brokers with new authority, other than that just do tons of research and you should be fine.
    If becomes too much of a hassle can always lease onto a carrier.

Also hope you have money already saved for rainy day. Those always happen in trucking. Especially when starting out something new.

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you want to run power only contact JB Hunt.

I'm not sure but I think they take new authorities. Schneider also has a program but I don't know anything about the requirements.

With that being said you will do much better with your own trailer.

5. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Amazon is a power only company, everyone pulls their trailers. Prime if you have your own authority, they will load you and you can use their trailers, fuel card etc.

6. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    What part the country are you located?
    WTG(West Texas Gas) has all kinds of O/O’s pulling their trailers. Some are 1 man/1 truck, sole proprietorships.

7. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Schneider requires 6 months experience. JB Hunt has a lot of power only loads, you can check out their load board for free here I don’t recall if they have a waiting period, if so it’s only like 30 days. Coyote, if you numbers are brand new you’ll need to wait 30 days. You can read their. FAQ for more info.

Realistically, you’re just going to sign up and fill out carrier packets, the good thing is most of it’s online now so it won’t take forever. They’ll all let you know their wait times for new numbers, worse case scenario you wait 30 days.

8. serozhah

serozhah Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Amazon sucks, and their pay sucks. They have a lot of weird requirements on insurance, and it takes forever for them to check if you meet those requirements, i mean like weeks (at least for me). I tried to set up with amazon, but there were too many hoops and too much waiting for amazon. While i never ended up pulling for them, i talked to a trucker not long ago who did pull for amazon, and based on his words, amazon power only pay sucks. I do jb hunt power only, and after doing every possible combination of trailer truck in the business, pulling power only for jb is now my favorite.

9. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    Thats what i thought until i tried JB Hunt:)

10. serozhah

Sep 8, 2013
    I worked for prime as power only with my own authority for about 4 months. It pretty much sucks. You would be better off going to work as a company driver for JB Hunt. I think prime gives like 74% of the load nowdays. You work with dispatch, who has a bunch of other trucks besides you. He tries to stick you with loads that make him the most money while costing HIM the least time to deal with. Lack of sleep, frequent crap loads in between decent loads, lots of down time because dispatch is busy with something else or off work and cant fix you up with a load. I worked as a company drivers for different companies before, and it was better than working power only for prime. I also worked with my own trailer before and loadboards, and that was way way better than pulling for prime. Oh, and no, you cant use prime trailers for a fee to book your own loads from outside loadboards. I would see a load on loadboard paying 1300 for like 90 miles, but prime would put me on a load paying like 800 dollars for 400 miles from the same city. I would tell prime, like dam, put me on any of these loads from loadboards and just take your dam 30%, i still would make more money and work less than the load you are trying to stick me with. But alas, prime has to cover crap loads that prime committed to cover with the customer much earlier. So then i quit prime, got a dry van, and did uber freight loads for couple weeks. I made like way more money and worked way less. Then I tried running power only for JB Hunt, and i opened a new horizon for myself and i love it. You book your own loads from jb hunt loadboard, whenever you want. no commitment. But as with most power only, its too hard to find a trailer every time. so you just do drop and hooks and live load unloads while making sure you always have some kind of jb hunt trailer. To start, they usually send you like 100-200 miles to get the jb hunt empty trailer. So the pay is competitive with uber freight type loadboards. But power only loads have a lot of 24 hour pu and 24 hour delivery windows, which is far more flexible than when you run with your own trailer. In addition, while may not be strictly speaking allowed by jb hunt, I use both power only and dry van loadboards of jb hunt. So I book loads pretending i have my own trailer, but pick them up with the jb hunt trailer from my previouse load. This way i have access to more flexible power only loads and less flexible but slightly more pay dry van loads. I still have my own trailer parked in Georgia, but im making so much money doing power only for jb hunt and enjoying flexibility of the 2 very different loadboards, that I am not planning on running with my own trailer anymore at all. I never thought i would pull power only for jb hunt, but it turned out that its a perfect fit for me. So if you are looking for power only, i strongly recommend against prime and i recommend jb hunt. Also, jb hunt is very flexible with their trailers. They seem to let you run with their trailer and havent bugged me once about me running with their trailer while not on a power only load. Oh, and jb hunt is the BEST with TONU and detention pays. They literally always pay those things. I have done probably a hundred jb hunt loads now, and I have never not been paid detention or tonu once. The quick pay of jb hunt is also best in the business, not even rivalled by uberfreight. I invoice a load i delivered at 7am, and get money in the bank for it the next morning, monday through friday. uberfreight i think has twice weekly payout on quickpay. With power only, I also get a lot of empty trailer moves which pay really well considering 24 hour pu delivery and zero weight. Also, jb hunt has a lot of chips loads all over USA, so most of my loads are actually under 25k on weight. Prime on the other hand, has majority of their loads over 44k! Also somehow majority of prime loads take you through mountains, like WV. JB Hunt on the other hand is pretty spread out with much of the loads not going through any mountains. I did the math, and with all Primeś discounts, Prime pay still sucks and i am very good at trucking. And the feeling that you are always at the mercy of some dispatch is just not ok when you own your truck.

11. Stop Truckin Around

Stop Truckin Around Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2020
    Definitely not doomed.
    I’m 6 month in on my authority. No prior experience either and I’m doing great.
    I have been using Reed transport and been using a the same shipper all year. I can’t complain at all.

DAT load board is more than enough to keep you busy. It comes down to know your cost to operate and don’t chase cheap load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.