New Cascadia with DD 15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by CT Brooke Logistics, Oct 22, 2018.

1. CT Brooke Logistics

CT Brooke Logistics Bobtail Member

May 7, 2018
    Ansonia, CT
    Hi everyone, i work for a company that is starting to haul its own product from Georgia to Connecticut. We are in talks with ryder for 3 Freight-liner Cascadia's that will be on full maintenance leases. Our rep has told us to go with the Detroit DD15. He says the DD has improved immensely over the past 3 years in particular. I spoke with a few drivers who work for other carriers on their opinions on this. They both drove 2014s with DD13 in them. They said they would prefer the DD13 over the DD15 and prefer a Cummins over both. The rep from ryder told us we could go Cummins if we wanted but the DD15 has proven to be more reliable according to their data. He told me to contact their techs and feel free to ask them questions. So i guess my question is....Is the rep pushing the DD15 for some reason or is it truly the best option here? Are the other drivers used to an older model DD that may not have been as reliable? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Outstanding fuel mileage without much effort.
    I wouldn't run anything other than a Detroit.
    I had a dd13 and now have a dd15.
    Both reliable.
    My current one I've have had approx a year and a half with no issues.

4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I’ve got a 2017 Cascadia with the DD15 engine and DT12 transmission. I’ve had my truck for exactly 2 years and put 263,736 miles on it. Engine and transmission have both performed flawlessly. Only two minor maintenance issues so far, one sensor and one software update.

Fuel economy is great, and the transmission works really well for highway runs. Don’t let the old timers tell you that it’s not a real truck if it’s not a manual, lol.

I highly recommend that engine and transmission combination.

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    It's not , lol.

6. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    Haha, well that didn’t take long.

I love the DT12 transmission for highway driving and traffic. I will admit though that if I was doing a lot of city driving I’d prefer a manual. The automated one isn’t as smooth and I don’t like the way it downshifts at slower speeds.

7. CT Brooke Logistics

CT Brooke Logistics Bobtail Member

May 7, 2018
    Ansonia, CT
    Thanks guys! Our specs are for the DT12 as well...what is wrong with the downshifts @SixShooterTransport ?

8. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    There’s nothing really “wrong” with them, I just think it downshifts too often when you’re braking so you don’t get the full benefit of the jake brake and I don’t like how it will downshift when making a turn. With a manual you would pick a gear, turn at the intersection, and go from there. The DT12 won’t let you do that... if you accelerate and you’re not already in the optimal gear it’ll downshift mid-turn as you’re accelerating out of the corner.

Like I said, there’s nothing really wrong with it, I just see a difference in how I would do it driving a manual.

CT Brooke Logistics Thanks this.
  9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Has the DD15 become more reliable than the DD13 now?

That's a big shift from Detroit, the DD13 was the mpg and durability champ before.

The integrated driveline with the EVO package will certainly get your fleet the best possible mpg.

The Cummins X15e (500hp/1850tq@1000rpm) seems to be a great efficiency choice too, combined with 2.64-2.85 rears and 13spd ultrashift or manual shift OD trans.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.