New CAT Air compressor Locked up?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Don379, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    when i pull cover, i will definitely, pin the engine a tdc and check the timing marks on the gears to make sure it didnt skip timing.
    Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How much metal did it make? Might be worth dropping the pan for a cleanout if it made lots of shrapnel.

shooter19802003 and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    yeah ill drop the pan again too.
    Frst thing i did was did compressor.
    Next pulled pan and eplaced gasket
    Next pulled hood and installed pitts power radiator and Charge air cooler
    Spent hours in the cold doing all this.
    No its great, cause i get to do everything i just id for 2 weeks ll over again.
    But hey thats trucking life. ITs either sink or swim right?
    I choose to swim becuase i enjoy being an owner operator.
    I will document with pictures when im done. i promise

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Be careful reusing any gears. I built a fuller that crashed years ago. It worked great until the wagon was loaded. Then in some gears the transmission sounded like it was missing some teeth. Found some gear teeth had cracks in them. Both counter shaft gears and or mainshaft gear on two different speeds. Just about needed a magnifying to see them. Have them magnifluxed if reusing.
    Do not know about your Cat but know a man the replaced a lot of C series front covers. He had a puller that would pull the gear. Pulled the fuel supply pump. Used a pry bar behind a cam lobe with installing the gear. That kept from knocking the freeze plug out of the back of the block.

6. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    i promise you, if i see any teeth damaged o the other gears whe i pull the cover, i will pull them. Found plenty of gears for ale without having to buy new. Like said, 1 thousand buys one gear from cat. 1 thousand wll buy me all good condition used gears.
    My cat manual is telling me to heat the cam gear to 570 for 30 minutes to install back on cam. My oven goes to 550 So im thinking illlet it sit in there for 40 minutes and aybe heat it with oxy and acetylene for a few seconds before putting on. Pulling the gear shoulnt be a problem with the puller i have coming. I will hat with torch and get it to cherry beforehand just to be sure

shooter19802003 and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    I usually try to pull gears cold first. If I get as much pressure on them as comfortable then apply heat. Hot and as uniform as possible. As the gear expands normally it will pop pretty quick. Then finish the job asap.

8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Hot plate and a pan of engine oil to heat new gear.

Do not use your house hold oven if your married. Never use a oven for powder coating and use for food afterwards either.

Just my advise.

9. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Ok and thank you for these tips
    Also, ill be bringing the compessor to peterbilt in te morning. more i think about it, more angry i get. There is no way the gear should have sheered off the wooddrift key on the snout and ripped off the bolt. Even if over torqued. This compressor locked up. Maybe a wrist pin failed or something i dont know

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  10. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    any recommednations on a amazon hot plate to do this?

shooter19802003 and jamespmack Thank this.
  11. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    Flywheel ring gear was pretty rough. I had went back outside and came in when it was time. House was full of smoke and smelled horrible Opened all the windows and doors in the middle of winter. Then rushed the ring out and put it on the flywheel. Heard a vehicle coming up the driveway, ran and closed all the windows and doors. Mom never said a word. That probably won't work for most.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.