New CAT Air compressor Locked up?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Don379, Jan 27, 2022.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

If you don't replace them now, it will progressively get worse and you will get to do this again. Sucks, but id do it right.

pushbroom and Flint1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    The motor was overhauled by cat in 2007. Its a dump truck that has many many many idle hours and nothing but heavy pulling and had snot beat out of it. Has about 400k on the rebuild. goes through 2 gallons of oil every 10k. I was planning on doing a c15 swap next fall or just overhaul this one. Not sure.
    So thats why im not trying to invest too much time and money in this mishap. Just want to slap it back together and run it one more season. I understand what you are saying and i would 100 percent agree with you if i was planning on keeping this motor going a couple more years.
    Your thoughts with that being said?

4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Also, whats the deal with the idler timing marks. when i put the truck top dead center on compression stroke cylinder number 1, The idler marks never wind up where the manual says. If i repeat the process which i did ten times, They winmd up in different spots. The cam and crank nothces always wind up in exact same spots. Also verified both intake and exhaust valves closed. The more i thought about it, it just seems like physics is the reason. Are the notches on the idler just there for the first install?

5. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    ok i think maybe you guys are right even if motor is old. Dont think my puller will fit in there. supposed to be here tomorrow. You think my oxy and acet torch will work to pull gear off? ITs going in trash anyway. HEat it up cherry and slip right off?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your timing marks will only line up exact after so many revolutions. If you keep barring over they will line up again. Just line them up on reassembly.

You are faced with a difficult decision. It may be hard to swallow, but fixing it correct is the only way I can see. Regardless of your future plans.

7. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    yeah i edited my last post to pushbroom. Dont think my big puller will fit between housing and cam gear. will heating up the cam ghear to cherry around where slides on to cam work for removal? Its trash anyway. Slide right off?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Never tried it in chassis. Always replaced cam and comes with gear. SIS shows pulling cam and press off in shop press.

9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Sounds like you do seasonal dump work? Either way, no idea how long it might last. Worth going down during busy season? I wouldnt take that bet. Then again alot of people get away with alot. If it was me, it wouldn't make it out of driveway before it grenades. I'm not much of a gambler.

Flint1 Thanks this.
  10. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    yeah thats what y cat manual says also. ill do what i can. Even if i have to remove cam. Thanks

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  11. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    ok you guys talkd me into. Ill do wht i can to get the gear off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.