New CDL class A with lots of questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Truckingdaytrader, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Truckingdaytrader

Truckingdaytrader Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2022
    I just got my CDL a few weeks ago. I am going to be applying for jobs soon. I live in Northern California. There is so much to learn about this world... Questions:
    1. I am open to OTR and everything else. What I need most is as much money as possible. I am going to put my wife through an MBA program so I'll have to pay for that and the bills for 2 years. What is the most lucrative line of work in the industry?
    2. How much time should most people put in before considering buying their own rig?
    3. Are there any "less desirable" brand trucks to avoid having to drive when looking for work?

Rideandrepair and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Where in NorCal?

Rideandrepair and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you AND the spouse team drive for the right carrier....sock your money away....and invest it wisely....you both could retire in as little as 10-12 years.

These days.....that MBA program will bleed you dry--along with the other typical family-related expenses.

Driving a big rig yields a similar paycheck--with a small fraction of the upfront educational investment of that MBA program.

That's why I left an office job--and started driving the big rigs.

The best-paying trucking gigs are typically in the LTL sector, doing linehaul--examples: Old Dominion, Estes, FedEx, SAIA, etc.

You can also do quite well in the tanker world: chemicals, fuel, cryogenics.

To qualify for those jobs--you need to go back and get those endorsements (if you don't have them already): tanker, hazmat, and doubles/triples.

If you decide to go tanker: getting a TWIC card is a good idea, as well.

A valid, current US passport will help you pull some loads into/out of Canada.

The more "bells and whistles" you have like these--the more attractive you become to prospective employers.

Tell us what city/state is closest to you--and we'll make some employer suggestions.

Also: what CDL school did you use? How many hours is in their pgm? 160? 180? or more? If you don't know--find out.

Then let us know.

@Chinatown

--Lual

5. Bailey11

Bailey11 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2022
    Most likely as a new CDL holder you'll have to suck it up with a big company for 6 months to a year. After that your options will open up considerably. Personally I would look to an Old Dominion type for good pay once you get a little experience under your belt and most importantly, keep your driving record clean.

6. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Dot Foods, out of Modesto, pays a team truck $240K-$260K per year/split. They run dedicated routes/same schedule, every week, usually on a roughly 4-5 day schedule. They do run hard, though.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where in Northern California? Need to know the hiring area you live in.
    How many hours was the cdl school you graduated from?
    Do you have endorsements?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    DOT Foods is a GREAT suggestion--but be warned: because they are so good--DOT can be VER-RY picky. :confused: :oops:

Most of their applicants are turned away.

Also: hold off on any truck/trailer (or lease) purchase, until you've been a driver for someone else for a while (3 years, or more).

You need to learn the industry, first--and also decide if you even like it--or not.

Don't buy that "Boeing 747" until you've decided you actually like flying--A LOT. o_O

You'll have to (re)earn those wings--every day.

--Lual

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. Truckingdaytrader

Truckingdaytrader Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2022
    My school was 160 hours. I'm in Guerneville, CA which is about a half hour from Santa Rosa. I don't have any endorsements because I didn't understand the process when I signed up for my permit. I paid for all the test but had to forfeit them to get my license closed out and sent. I left the country about 3 weeks ago and won't be back until the end of January and didn't want to risk not finishing the tests for endorsements in time. I am planning on getting any and all endorsements when I get back, before I start working.

11. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Oof! You’re way up and over there. I’ve hauled sour cream out of Sebastopol. That’s all I got.

For those searching out jobs for him.
    561F6D92-4302-4F13-A489-D1F656FC3E5E.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.