New CDL Driver From Long Island Ny. Please Advise.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jojo1212, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jojo1212

jojo1212 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Hello. I have recently received my Class A from a local school. I have zero experience. I am looking for a job with an OTR company but i am not sure which ones I should apply for. Like the title says I live on Long Island, I own a House here on the North Shore, in Suffolk.

My concern is about logistics. Are there any good companies that I could realistically commute to from here. I understand that I will be out for 2-3 weeks at a time but not sure how my location will factor in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ASmallFleetDriver

ASmallFleetDriver Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    ChicagoLand
    Being from Ny and familiar with the area anyone hiring for reefer will love you.

Getting you home Im not sure though only know of two places you can leave a truck for a few days and they charge per day. Why not drive local? Imagine Ny local pays well.

Stay safe ^_^

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How old are you; many companies have minimum age requirements.
    Plenty of jobs, but truck parking will be a problem; don't know what to say concerning that. There's drivers that post on here that live in your area, so maybe they can give advice as to parking. Otherwise, ask the companies you apply to what their policy is.
    FedEx Freight is hiring new grads:
    127 Dale Street
    City: West Babylon
    State: New York
    McLane Company hires new grads as second seat driver to assist first seat driver until you're qualified for first seat. It's foodservice and pays really well.
    One new grad driver that lives near Hunts Point found a job on Craigslist working for an owner-operator running to California and back to Hunts Point. It's a produce run.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    ZhenyaP1991 Thanks this.
  5. jojo1212

jojo1212 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    I am 27. I'll check that out. I would prefer local but my understanding was that they all want anywhere from 1-3 yeas of verifiable experience.

Thanks for the replies.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's some more that hire new grads:
    Calex Logistics
    NFI Industries in New Jersey
    Magnum Ltd.
    Freymiller
    Abilene Motor Express
    Trekker Logistics - refrigerated division is "Earl Henderson Trucking"
    Schuster - nations largest ice cream hauler, ie."Blue Bunny Ice Cream"
    Britton Transport
    Tyson Foods
    J&R Schugel

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most local jobs don't pay much, but plenty hire new cdl grads. Drivers that live in the city sometimes post on here that the pay is low and fighting traffic all day is a nightmare.
    ABF hires new grads for city work and even pays for cdl school for those that haven't attended; it's local & teamsters.

8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I don't know who has terminals out there but any OTR company that hires from LI would be happy to have somebody who wont cry about going out there or into the boroughs. Tell them you'll be happy to go to LI but then you're going home for a couple days!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Check with all of the freight terminals in the area. Old Dominion, ABF, FedEx Freight, UPSF, etc

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Almar hires anybody with a pulse.

You can get a local job with no experience on the island. And you'll make a lot more than any new otr driver.

Big Herb The Trucker Thanks this.
  11. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I would think being from the NYC area would be a huge plus!++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ASmallFleetDriver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.