New CDL driver looking to live on the road?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by TorontoTacos, Dec 9, 2018.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Very good advice here,

I don’t know anything about SGt2000 either.

Challenger is basically 14/hr (BC) (Bison is 700/wk flat rate) for 8 weeks (Bison 13 weeks) to train, a few guys went through it on here and have let me know how it’s going; all good things thus far.

Trans Frt is a good company, didn’t know they hire new drivers in Ontario, they don’t in BC/Alberta. We do a lot of work with them, nice ppl, big terminal in LA if you like Cali runs in the winter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancecanyon

dancecanyon Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Good luck and let us know! I’m going into my 5th year of trucking....but I can’t seem to find that unicorn company that will keep me out for a few months, still have decent pay, and varied lanes. Technically I’m with a good company now—pay hub miles, 100% medical/dental/etc, laundry and showers at the yard, medium pay but never quibble about expenses and detention times, matching rsp contributions, and a few other niceties—but they’re more of a team outfit so, as a solo driver, I rarely see west of eastern Wisconsin, Texas once in 6 months, Miami a couple of times, and all resets every wknd, maybe every other wknd, back at the yard. It’s driving me crazy and I’m exploring other options—including the option that I may just have to get my own truck and authority.

For now I’m just laying up money and trying to read up on/ask questions of how best to go about becoming an o/o. Presently, CRA is really giving the sniff test to “o/os’” who work for other carriers. Most companies seem to have o/o’s buy the truck, pay for repairs and offer a fuel surcharge....but it’s non-competitor claused, the carrier covers everything else.....so, I’ll be interested in seeing just how deep CRA is going to go with this.

Anyway, I feel as if the desire to find drivers willing to stay out on the road for months at a time is just a myth. I had a great interview with a stage touring company—including a good word put in by another trucker—but then it turned out that company had a no-pet policy. It was too bad because they were dying for drivers to stay out for six month tours!

I would love to try out a year otr.....as long as I can get to different places, everything is above board, my dog can stay with me, and don’t try to claw back pay.....

No rush though. I would say keep your CVOR clean, get your FaST card, don’t hop around every two months....and you should be able to be choosy—once that first year is gained.

4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    308C0895-E9AD-41BB-AC79-CB7C53EC8751.jpeg Try NATT. They piled up couple trucks the past week or so,, got to have a opening or 10:D

5. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015

If you know what you're doing going own authority is the best way to do it. You'll make more but you're gonna pay more as well. Going own Authority bet on having a $10-15000 credit card just for fuel, $10-15000 just for repairs sitting by, and an additional 90 days operating costs in a bank since most brokers back log pay 60-90 days.

Contracting to a carrier is harder on the wallet for take home pay, but it offers some benefits. Like not having to have a huge some of money in the bank. Even for repairs since most carriers if they have a shop offer discounted rates on any non-warranty repairs.

dancecanyon Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Generally new drivers are excluded from pet policy for a period of probationary time. But it's not the same treatment anywhere. You might get hired on to a outfit that will take your pet day one.

The most challenging part of trucking for all drivers is when they are new with a hot CDL fresh from the DMV. Getting and retaining a righteous company is half the battle, that is if your youth and virility isnt raped first by a 90 day wonder dispatcher.

7. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    I finally got my AZ license! I'm about to start heading out on Road Tests for companies that I've applied to but i'm a bit worried... Do they expect perfection on their road tests? I'm still pretty new and don't know alot about trucking, school was pretty helpful and got me my license but there is still so much to learn.

gokiddogo and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  8. dancecanyon

dancecanyon Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2015

I've found that any legit company will a) even provide a road test and b) for those that do, they want to see that you are treating the responsibility of driving a tractor/trailer with the respect it deserves so reminding a road test taker that they need to remember to check their mirrors, what about that turn signal, how they should lane change, won't necessarily be a quick end to the road test....

most everyone who provides a test to a new driver will understand that they will bound to be nervous.. if the road tester gives some suggestions or points out something you may have missed, how do you take it? do you acknowledge it and correct it the next time that situation comes up(and it's constant situations out on the road) or do you argue with them that it was the other person, the light changed too quickly, etc....any company concerned about their safety on the road does not want to agree to sending out someone who can't see their poor driving habits for what they are and seeks to change them.

some drive testers will tell straight up that they appreciate the caution that a new driver usually brings to the wheel rather than the more experienced driver who thinks they know it all. and the accident-free, respectful, experienced driver has never forgotten that they have a killing machine under their hands and learn to expect the worst out of other drivers and make accommodations for this(i.e--leaving that space between vehicles no matter how many people jump in that space)

take a deep breath with every moment of anxiety, watch your mirrors, watch that speed limit, watch for those no truck signs....and you can do this!

good luck, eh. :)

9. TorontoTacos

Oct 14, 2018
    Anyone have experience with HIGHLIGHT MOTOR FREIGHT INC? Seems to be a Russian owned company? Schneider gave me a conditional job offer but the pay is horrible!

10. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    They are very busy, mostly Russian/Polish, Nice Trucks and Trailers, See them all over the place, drivers generally seem happy/never freaking out on the phone.

ERB/Kdac didn't workout?

11. TorontoTacos

Oct 14, 2018
    Don't think they're hiring new AZ drivers. I might call in tomorrow to see what happened to my application. I have a road test tomorrow with Highlight Motor Freight, they said If I can back in a trailer within 15minutes, i'm good to start... :eek:

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.