New CDL driver looking to live on the road?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by TorontoTacos, Dec 9, 2018.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I personally would work for Highlight Motor Freight. That's a good test if you ask me, I was just at a shipper, who said the last Canadian truck took 2.5 hours to get into the dock, and the last Canadian Team truck took 3.5 hours (both drivers took a shot at it, then they called a local tractor service company to come put it in the door for them).

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    ......LOL
    I love how that is my competition.

I see highlight all over the place, don't see then sitting around very often. Trucks are mostly if not all Volvo and new looking. Likely a decent place to get your feet wet.

Curious, what does Schneider offer a new driver?

Canadianhauler21 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Dude, that's LTL van! the Reefer guys you have to go up against, i'm surprised they A) Made it into the shipper/receivers yard B) got the doors open C) were able to communicate with the yard dogs to put the trailers in the door for them *cough LightSpeed cough* lol!.

Highlight are also getting a bunch of the same 2020 Gen 3 KW T680's we're getting, with the new Paccar AMT and MX13 510hp setups. Not a T680 fan, but these look greatly improved and sharp in that blue.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Paint a trashcan whatever color you want,

It's still a trash can, and those MX-13's are trouble. Owned 2, driven 3. All of them have horrible fuel mileage. 5.5-6.1 running reefer unless your running 2.64 rears and never running the mountians.

These new one may be different but I'm not holding my breath.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  6. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Schneider said first-year drivers average 39k a year... :eek:. Only good thing is that there is no contract and they're going to put me in a hotel during training. I hope I pass highlight road test today :(

7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Let us know how it goes. I never heard much good things about those guys. Heard they even make you pay for your own drug test LOL. Best of luck to you.

TorontoTacos Thanks this.
  8. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Have you worked at Highlight Motor Freight before? Your name looks similar to another user on another forum who posted some really good info about them o_O

I passed their road test today, I got drug testing tomorrow. I paid $85 for their drug testing :eek: but I'm still pretty optimistic, everyone was very friendly and met some drivers in the lounge who had been there for years and they mentioned a lot of pros and cons :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Canadianhauler21 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Good job man!

I'm a little jealous TBH, you got to skip the "Mega Carrier Nightmare" and level up to a mid size company right off the bat.

For some reason, i've been getting into a lot of discussions lately, about Bison/TransX/Arnold Brothers/SLH/Schneider/Day&Ross etc etc. They're all just so ####, intolerable, no wonder everyone hates trucking lol. I actually thought to myself today, re-reading some of my "Truth about Bison posts", how on earth did I survive that and still want to drive? LOL

10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Good man, let me know how it goes, if anything I may make the switch later. They have nice Volvo's and can't lie they have a nice paint job for their equipment. What is their mileage pay? LL, LUL, Trailer switch pay?

11. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Yeah man #### bison, I'd rather work at McDonald's than work for those guys. Think their base pay was 0.37 cents a mile last time I checked along with a 2 year contract. Apparently you can get terminated from Schneider for using blue tooth headphones while driving according to my USA buddy. Challenger is getting pretty whacked out too, if it wasn't so hard to get insurance I would never work for any of these mega carriers.

You had some balls working at bison I'll give you that. Last company I worked for bought used bison day cabs and sold them within 3 months of purchase because the repairs exceeded the price they bought em for.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.