New CDL driver with a question.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jnicholes, May 28, 2017.

1. jnicholes

jnicholes Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum, I just joined today. I have some questions about a small problem I have.

First you need to know that I graduated from Sage Trucking School last February. I have a Class A CDL license. I have an Intrastate Restriction. I cannot go Interstate due to age. I knew I would have this when I started School.

Now my problem, I am looking for work where I live, and everywhere I look, there are one of two requirements I cant meet, the first is doing Interstate driving and the second is age requirements. I am going to be blunt, I am only 20, and all the jobs I see say you need to be 21. I dont know why this is. My question is this, why cant I find anything that has requirements I can meet? Am I not looking hard enough? Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

Jared

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Your focusing on the wrong companys whats your home 20? We can give a few suggestions

Mike2633, G13Tomcat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. jnicholes

jnicholes Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    Hi there.
    Thanks for the fast reply. I wasnt aware I was looking at the wrong companies. I am living in Southwestern Idaho.
    Jared

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Big city? The problem is when you go through school you get all of the national names spewed at you. National dont do local. Think outside the box. Local ltl barns, od, Estes, ect. Food service ( @Mike2633 might have some ideas) private fleets. (Companies that deliver their own goods) like lumber yards, plumbing wholesalers, electrical wholesalers exc..

Mike2633 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    As a side note, ive said it so many times before. Go in person. You have NO skill. Your not selling your skill. Your selling your drive. What your selling is the idea of a go getter who wants to be part of the company.

Soooo, you are young and no experience? Any questions?

Yup, whats your equipment service like? Whats your retention rate? Whats your retirement plans like? 401k? Profit sharing? Exc.. your selling the idea that you are "moldable" and looking for a lifetime job. (Even if your not.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. jnicholes

jnicholes Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    Hi there.

Yes, it is kinda a big city. And you are right, the school did throw a few national names at me. I am going try what you are recommending to me. It never occurred to me.

Thanks for the advice!

Jared

street beater Thanks this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Try to find construction jobs in Boise. They probably won't require interstate driving.

9. jnicholes

jnicholes Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    Hi there.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I really appreciate it. Is there anything else I need to know to expand my search?

Jared

10. Scott101

Scott101 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    NorCal
    Apply to companies that haul their own products locally and use both Class A and Class B trucks. Or even Class A and Class C trucks. Dairy producers, and produce wholesalers come to mind. Office supply companies, Landscape supply yards, maybe? Companies that haul their own products seem to have a little more flexibility then common carriers.

It will get you working and in the right direction. That is important. Get working as soon as possible. I was young and started out driving a straight truck delivering produce. within days they had me shuttling Class A equipment around the yard. Within a couple weeks I was already a relief driver for the line haulers.

Mike2633 and street beater Thank this.
  11. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    And dont be discouraged when a few tell you insurance wont cover you. When that happens, ask if they have a "driver helper position" or a "dock to driver" program. If it gets you moving and gainful employment while you look around, its all good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.