New CDL holder with some confusion?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Twistin' throttles, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Twistin' throttles

Twistin' throttles Light Load Member

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Ok, like the headline says, I'm a new CDL A holder, tested out January 11th, passed first try from a 160 hour, accredited school that I paid for myself. My question/ confusion is on the FMCSA 10 year employment history crap.
    I've been throwing out apps since I passed my test, but I've noticed something lately that I don't know the answer too, maybe someone here can elaborate on. Some places I've applied online, straight up require a solid 10 year employment history. Other's, Schnieder for example, ask for a 3 year history, unless you were employed as a commercial driver previously, then they want a 10 year history. Are companies interpreting the laws wrong, or is it up to each individual company how they do it?
    I'm in Bakersfield, CA., Have My class A, clean driving record, no criminal history at all, can pass any drug test they want to give me on a moments notice, but have a couple gaps in employment history due to a layoff from a railroad, I was a Locomotive engineer/Conductor, and family issues I had to deal with. Am I unhireable because of that?
    My homeland security background check is in progress right now ( fingerprinted last friday ) for hazmat, and will be getting tanker, doubles/triples endoresments all at once when hazmat clears. This area is heavy in oilfield, Agriculture, and dairy, so the endorsements will help, and I can start going in to companies personally and applying, so that may help, but all of the online stuff so far has been a mixed bag, and frustrating when savings are running out!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, you're good to go. Those employment gaps don't mean much to many companies. Being laid off doesn't count as being unemployed. Don't put that down as unemployed; put it down as "laid off from XYZ company."
    Put some more applications in; remember, some companies have "experience preferred" which is not the same as "experience required." Apply anywhere you want, even if you think you won't be hired.
    You'll be rolling in a few days:
    Oldenkamp Trucking Inc
    Salary: $16.00 to $18.00 /hour
    Experience:Truck Driving: 1 year (Preferred)
    License:
    • CDL A (Preferred)
    • Tanker Endorsement (Preferred)
    • CDL (Preferred)

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I won't repeat Chinatown. However, let me try to make this more clear. The rules as I understand them is general employment history for 3 years and 7 more years if you were using your CDL as a driver. This is not hard to understand. These carriers are getting ignorant about these rules. The only thing the FMCSA requires is for you to account for that time. If you spent 6 months chasing girls in Hawaii, list it! (and send me some photos please)

tscottme, flood and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Twistin' throttles

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Thanks @Chinatown! I've been holding off on applying some places locally until I get the endorsements, and it took almost 4 weeks for the DMV to send my hard copy liscense, DMV said I had to wait until I got the hard copy to add any endorsements, then they will take it again and send me a new one.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com - click on "Recent Graduates."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leavitt's Freight Service - Bakersfield, CA
    $65,000 - $80,000 a year
    To complete a full application please copy and paste link into your browser:
    https://intelliapp.driverapponline....ttp://indeed.com/&uri_b=ia_leavitts_146867661
    Martin - $1100 weekly - click here for more information > Apply On Company Site
    Hansen & Adkins Auto Transport - $2000 weekly click here for more info > Apply On Company Site
    Clean Harbors - $20.00 hourly - tanker/hazmat endorsement.
    May Trucking Company - click here > Apply On Company Site
    Southern Refrigerated Transport - click here > Apply On Company Site
    Celadon -
    The Premier NAFTA Carrier | Celadon Group, Inc. | Cross ...
    https://celadontrucking.com
    Schuster - www.schusterco.com

7. Twistin' throttles

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    That's how i understood it too, but it seems most companies have run amok with interpreting it! I'm a normal guy, hard worker, with a clean record and thought this " driver shortage" would make me golden for a truck driving job, but not so much so far.

8. Twistin' throttles

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Thank you Chinatown! I was really looking at Leavitts, still am, but they do have a year contract for their training program of over 5k. Freymiller used to be here in Bakersfield years ago until commiefornia regulations ran them out, lol. I'm trying to hold out for a tanker or flatbed job as long as the savings last, but will definitely do OTR for a year and pay my dues if necassary.

leviant0107 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Freymiller is a good outfit.
    When I first started driving years ago, one of my first loads was a Freymiller load of huge wool bales going to a textile mill in the Carolinas. Picked it up in Bakersfield. The company I was with pulled the load for Freymiller. I've also hauled chemical loads from Nashville, TN to the refineries in Bakersfield.
    System Transport might hire you for flatbed.
    Melton Truck Lines - flatbed
    Paul Transportation - flatbed

10. Twistin' throttles

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Something I forgot to mention, That orange box that pops up on here? I did it once before starting CDL school and my phone and email were blowing up, I did it again a couple of days ago, after getting my CDL on my own, crickett's lol. Maybe these mega companies really do want you locked into a contract for a year?

windsmith Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Ahem.

May trucking company and Hansen and Adkins in the same post?

Salary wise, they're not even on the same planet...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.