New Celadon Arrival

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by ThreadingToolGuy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ThreadingToolGuy

ThreadingToolGuy Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    Well, I've been checking, and this Celadon area seems to be pretty quiet - obviously that could be read as good or bad.

Regardless, I am heading down to Orientation next week, and would really appreciate any last minutes comments about Celadon - you know I mean "meaningful" - thank you very much!

I guess I picked a really bad time to decide to get back into "trucking", but my reality right now is .... I have. Good, bad, indifferent, this is what I'm going to be doing, and anyone that can shed any light on what to expect, their comments will be appreciated!

Other than being treated like a complete piece of ..... at times, I have really enjoyed my time "on the road". I look forward to getting back to it!

Thank you in advance for your comments. Be safe out there, and have fun!
    Al

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Well miles are low at least the last I heard (doesn't mean much, l.o.l.)
    We do expect you to run legal and log it legal (take that from the log manager :).
    Overall we have many drivers that stuck through thick and thin and stayed and are very happy. If you expect a bunch of money right now you might be wrong, however here is a tip. Don't refuse any freight you can do legally. If you get a load to NY then take it! If you get a load to Canada, then take it! The point is it really depends on what a driver (signed up to do all states) is eagerlly willing to do! Now will you sit for a day? Maybe, Maybe not but will you sit a day with someone else, maybe, maybe not. The point is make sure you want to make the transition and stick with it! Job skipping does no good for your reputation as a driver! Celadon won't go bankrupt so you are secure if anything.

good luck and please everything I said is only inside personal experience and let me add. The drivers that quit due to lack of miles are usually back within 3-6 months wanting their job back which means "starting all over with senority". :biggrin_25512:

ThreadingToolGuy Thanks this.
  4. ThreadingToolGuy

Feb 18, 2009
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    I appreciate your feedback, and will have no problems in any of the areas you mentioned - haven't yet, at least.

Even with it "slower", my problem was never "sitting" per se, as much as often fighting my 14 and getting 30 - 50 miles - that gets old fast. Did I loose patience the first time that happened? No way. Did I after numerous times in a few months? Yes!

I am sure that I will soon be missing home, but right now, I am looking forward to getting "back into the seat"! Thanks again for your feedback!

5. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Ran for a while with a Celadon driver yesterday. He has been back at Celadon for three months. Loves his ProStar. However, he said his BEST week since he has been back was 1800 miles. Mostly weeks have been around 1000. This week he will turn in 800. Can't make a living on that. He also said that because of the economy, the bonuses have been suspended ($1,000 every 30k miles according to website). Celadon is on my short list if I have to jump from my small company and go back to a larger one. Based on that, though... I don't know. I can't get anyone there to talk to me. I have pressed the button on the website three times to have a recruiter call me and gotten no response. Driver yesterday said maybe it's because Omaha is a bit north for them.

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    So they did drop the bonuses too. Have a buddy that still drives for them, and he keeps me up-to-date on things like cuts in starting pay, etc. Had a feeling the bonuses were just a matter of time too.

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They should call you back regardless! Call and ask for recruiting.

Yeah we did put hte bonus on hold only because of the economy and raises. Office has to suffer to. 401 k won't be matched either.:biggrin_25510:
    Many companies are doing this or will do this.:biggrin_2553:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  8. kingsson

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I understand. However, if they are recruiting, I should not have to call and beg someone to talk to me. I am not desperate for a job. They have the button on the site, they should respond. Besides, I would rather talk to a group of Celadon drivers. This guy likes Celadon, and thinks I would like it, to... so he was not your typical whiny driver. He did tell me as a matter of fact what is going on. A recruiter will tell you whatever he/she has to in order to get you to orientation.
    Now, about the bonuses... I also understand. However, they are the MAIN reason my wife (business manager) and I looked at Celadon to begin with... and the vacation time, of course. However, at 1000 miles a week, I would be out for 30 weeks before I got the week off. AND I would not be making bills. So I will stay put for now.
    I also noticed top pay I can now expect starting out is .33 per mile. Used to be .35. So they are cutting everywhere. Bummer that even the office's 401ks are suffering!

9. ThreadingToolGuy

Feb 18, 2009
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    Well, I guess I just have to hope that 3,000+ some drivers are NOT averaging only 800 - 1000 miles per week. I know it sucks if you're the 800 one, but it is hard for me to imagine that the whole fleet is doing that!?

With that said, what really concerns me is that I was told that Celadon's "average length of haul is 1,000 miles".

We'll make the best of it, and will hopefully be on "the road" soon, and can tell you'all what's happening. Take care, be safe out there, and have fun!

10. dammyankee

dammyankee Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2009
    brownsville tx
    I drove for Celadon many moons ago. At that time they did allow pets. Do they allow them now? Do they hire out of Brownsville TX? Are they putting APUs on the trucks? THX

11. kingsson

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    APUs, no... you also can't idle, either. SO you freeze in winter and roast in summer... unless it happens to be colder than 30 or warmer than 70. Can't idle to keep warm until it gets under 30? Some of the trucks have bunk heaters. SOME of them.
    I am hoping we hear back from their logs person... who seems to be the only one at Celadon who is willing to answer questions. Their recruiting department apparently is not interested.
    Threading, while I was visiting with my Celadon co-runner the other day, he was talking on the phone with his brother, also a Celadon driver, who is getting the same average miles. I am SURE this is temporary, since the entire industry is down. Celadon is one of the better carriers.

ThreadingToolGuy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.