New Costco DC in North Houston?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by MYSTYKRACER, Sep 12, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Any Schneider / Costco dedicated drivers know when the new Costco DC in north Houston is supposed to open? Schneider is already advertising opening for that acct:

Dedicated Truck Driver - Costco | Home Weekly | Houston, TX

The new DC is about 25 mins from my house and I drove past it a couple of weekends ago and saw that it was still under construction and not open yet. I called the recruitment phone # but the person I spoke to didn't know.

Tolmie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hit the "Apply" button and see what happens.
    Looks good though; covers KS, OK, TX, LA

Tolmie and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  4. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Somehow if you apply to this job, you’d get OTR as Schneider is known to do when you get to orientation.

70’Nova and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  5. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    This does seem like a good gig for a new driver to get that all important first year or two of experience. Solid, consistent controlled environment w/ a reliable client and every Costco I've ever seen is built sensibly w/ good approaches and room on the docks to get in and out easy enough.

The recruiter I spoke to said the starting rate for a new CDL grad would be .37 cpm + .04 cpm "fuel and safety bonus" on an average of 2100 miles/week which if you run the math comes out to not quite $45k/yr which seems a little low but I understand that's about average rookie pay at a mega. The upside though is it's supposed to be "out five days, home every weekend" kind of gig if the recruiter was being honest.

The other drawback I see though is that Schneider has their benefits through United Health Care and based on previous experience I am NOT a fan.
    This does seem like a descent starting out opportunity overall though so I'll probably keep it in mind.

Tolmie Thanks this.
  6. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Be very careful with Schneider, they will pull a "bait and switch" on you. I answered an ad for a part time position 10 miles from me. While talking with the 2nd tier recruiter, the truth came out, "oh we don't have part time drivers there, you will be covering the western part of the state and might be out for 2 to 3 weeks". Part time? Not in my book!

7. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    Yeah, this is why I'm trying to figure out exactly when the new DC is supposed to open? I would imagine they'll want to have it up and running by the time retail season starts so I can understand Schneider starting to staff up now. I'm thinking I might have to work the problem from the other end and ask someone at Costco the next time we're there.

8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I drove past the new dc..by the looks it would likely be running early next year..

9. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    So been doing some more research on this Costco dedicated job w/ Schneider. Asked about it over on Reddit and someone there suggested Costco is actually phasing out Schneider in favor of starting up their own fleet. Turns out that job posting is no longer active on Schneider's web site and today my wife came across a posting on Costco's employment web site for a Truck driver to run between the DC and stores. They're looking for people w/ minimum of 3 years experience so it sounds like they're possibly trying to do something similar to the Walmart fleet. Could be a plumb job for the right experienced driver.

88228822 Thanks this.
  10. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Costco pays around $26/hour and no over time allowed. So Walmart guys makes more.

11. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    At how do you know that cosco doesn't allow overtime? Where's the written proof

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.