New driver dot card expired.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Poodlenoodle, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Poodlenoodle

Poodlenoodle Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I had a class b before my class a. Im no longer employed and its time for my dot physical to expire. What should i do and what happens if i dont continue in this career and thus not get my physical updated? And what am i supposed to do when it does?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    If you dont your cdl will be automatically downgraded to a standard dl. You can "self certify" as exempt and keep your cdl, (but not drive a cmv leagaly) when you decide to drive again, get a new card and re cert as "non exempt" and provide your card to the dmv. Or just get a new card, certify it and be available at need

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    tscottme and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. Jmans

Jmans Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Go get a physical just in case you want to continue. If not,then who cares.
    Here where I am at,the state downgrades my CDL to a regular license and I have to do everything all over again.That's usually how it is with most jurisdictions I am assuming.
    Best bet is to ask your local jurisdiction.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What state? Self Certify

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have to self certify at the DMV for Tier one trucking under Interstate rules and intrastate if applicable. If you have a valid CDL tied to a valid Medical card, that is the form to sign. Otherwise without a valid medical, you fill out and self certify tier two to hold on to your CDL.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    They are telling you right. You can self certify as "Excepted Intrastate" and keep your CDL. If you return to driving, get a new phsical and you are ready to go.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Some states do not recognize "Excepted Intrastate". Speaking from experience, had an A, downgraded to a B, never thought I would drive again, but kept the B for my motorhome. Fast forward a few decades, laid off, unemployed, and my prospect for staying in the field I was in, about 10% is that, no degree, everyone wants a Batchelor's degree or higher. Had to go back to school to get my A back. Find the cheapest DOT Dr around, I can get one for $75.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.