New Driver Employer Recommendations Out of California

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DaniMae, Oct 29, 2021.

1. DaniMae

DaniMae Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Santa Maria, CA
    Was coming down with a plan to train then work for SWIFT but now I’m considering private pay school then seeking employment.

Do you have any recommendations for companies that hire newly licensed OTR drivers?

Any private pay (may have financial aid or grants) school recommendations?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    There are two excellent options to get your CDL without paying or going into servitude.

1. Free gub'mint money. The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) will pay for your CDL. For a list of WIOA training providers and for more information about WIOA in California go here.

2. Yellow/YRC/Reddaway will not only train you for free they will pay you an hourly rate while you train to get your CDL. Once you finish your training you can stay on with YRC (Teamster scale and benefits) or go elsewhere. There's no contract, non-compete or other obligation. It's LTL so that generally means home daily and weekends off. There's an excellent thread on YRC training here.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If I'm not mistaken--YRC/Yellow, suggested above (a very good suggestion, I might add) will set you up with fully-paid health insurance for you and your family. Investigate this further--but I believe I did see that about YRC elsewhere on this forum; you might check that out, on their website.

Given your health history--this would be an obvious MAJOR advantage, there.

You just need to decide if LTL (linehaul) is something you really want to do (pulling double trailers, and a lot of it at night).

If so--go ahead and get all your endorsements--tanker, hazmat...& doubles/triples.

You will need them.

--Lual

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.