New driver here eh

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by TheStopSignGuy, Nov 14, 2018.

1. TheStopSignGuy

TheStopSignGuy Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Goooday!

I've just recently got my license and I am out there looking for my first job in the trucking industry. My plan is to work as much as I can (bad financial choices in the past, plus who doesn't wanna work) and live in my truck until I get back on my feet again and more. That's not the main reason why I'm getting into trucking tho, I've had a lot of jobs in the past and driving is the only thing that I actually enjoy doing.

I'm sure there are a million threads like this out there as well, but I'm just making this to see what's out there and also to kind of introduce myself. I've been shadowing this forum for a while, it seems like a pretty good community overall. I almost ended up signing up with a paki company who only hires incorporated drivers, if not for this forum, I'd be a CRA rape victim in a year or two, so for that, thank you all.

This post is kind of all over the place, but hey if you know any jobs in the GTA area and 200km radius, let me know, who knows, people got jobs in crazier ways before. (Got passport and can get FAST card too)

Thanks for reading, see you in the forums

Adios

Edit: Name changed by admin, had to edit post so the post would make sense

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Head to Alberta. Live in your truck and run a fluid tanker.

Make some real money.

4. TheStopSignGuy

Nov 14, 2018
    @bonder45 yes, I was thinking of heading out west; however, I thought most of those jobs require at least 2 years exp. Are there companies out there who are willing to train new drivers?

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I thought recruiters attended those trucking schools.
    Which company if any showed up?
    Having no experience limits your choices until you get 6 months of not hitting anything.
    Good Luck

6. TheStopSignGuy

Nov 14, 2018
    Thanks, Yes there are companies like Schneider and Challenger that are constantly recruiting, I was just trying to see what else might be out there for new drivers other than the McDonald's of trucking companies. They all make you sign up for 1-2 years though because of the training they provide. I know beggars can't be choosers though. I am actually thinking of leaving the province as well and as @bonder45 said, there seem to be better opportunities there overall. The GTA is just unreasonably overpriced for what it is at this point. I've got no family to leave behind so might as well just do it.

@Jazz1 Thank you. I really hope I can specialize in tankers eventually, but no newbies can start there, I understand. By the way, Do you have any other recommendations on when it comes to questions to ask a recruiter and where to look for jobs other than indeed and glassdoor? I was thinking going to truckstops and ask drivers personally, but at the same time I don't want to bother someone who just wants to have some rest. Also, there seems to be so many shady things that are happening in the industry,(just by reading over some posts on this forum, but that's every job I guess in its own way), I just don't want to end up effed over, if possible.

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I have no recommendations. Have not looked for a job for decades
    I do line haul which is the epitome of laziness. My terminals are on the same highway so I can’t get lost:D

upnorthwpg Thanks this.
  8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    And that’s the way we like it!

9. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    If you up to flatbed then give Contrans a try, call and ask for Kara Kett. Ive been there a year and a half since getting my license and I would recommend this outfit to a friend. Lots of good people work there. I work out of Hagersville but they have other terminals and yards from Guelph to Oshawa and in between.

BigHossVolvo and TheStopSignGuy Thank this.
  10. TheStopSignGuy

Nov 14, 2018
    Thanks @Garththomas I will give them a call. I also found a company that haul's steel but only southwestern ontario and Michigan. I was going for long haul stuff, however their pay seems to be pretty good.

As I've mentioned before, I just want to work/learn as much as I can. Does Contrans do longhaul or is it mostly local?

Thanks

11. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Contrans covers Ontario into Quebec,to BC and points in between, out east to Nova Scotia.
    They haul to the US but not too far in as far as I can tell. NY and south of the lakes. I think you have to be driving for at least a year before they can send you south.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.