New driver, looking for a job. Advice from experienced drivers. Thank you. .

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jc3737, Aug 13, 2020.

1. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks for your advice. What you think of Schneider? I watched training videos and orientation, and I'm impressed. Thinking about applying with them next week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I know nothing about Schneider. I started with Swift in 2016. Came to work for Danny Herman last March. In my opinion, (BTW...there are folks on this board that will flame you for your opinions) EFF EM' The important thing is that you commit to your first Company for at least one year, following the 3 steps I outlined in my previous post. You will not be super efficient right out of the gate. Plan on 40-45K your first year. Keep your record clean and it will go up from there. The only thing I have heard about Schneider's Training is that it is SHORT and they pretty much have a sink or swim policy. I feel I benefitted from 6 weeks with my Trainer. Good luck, you have the right attitude.

jc3737 Thanks this.
  4. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @jc3737 Once you put in your time then you can move on to the LTL side running linehaul. Drivers earn a pretty good wage.

Good luck.

jc3737 and Dockbumper Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider and Werner are low paycheck companies.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  6. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Yes thanks very much for your advice. I have a great deal of respect for people like you, that have experienced the first year of trucking, and with their experience want to help others like myself, starting. I'm a responsible person, I had my own business in ground transportation here in Chicago for years, I closed it down due to covid 19 outbreak. Good thing i got my class A cdl, 2 years ago, and kept it updated. As we can see, now time has come to use it. I'm not gonna make the mistake of " Chasing money ", because I know, that's not how it works. Money will come, but with time and experience. It took years to earn a living in my business, as they say, " Knowledge is power ". I want to learn, that's the key to make money. I'm thinking both, either Schneider or Swift. Which ever calls me first. Thanks again for your help, be safe.

7. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Perhaps might be. But again, I'm not gonna make the mistake of chasing money. That will come with time and experience. I really want to learn, that's the key to make money. Thanks again for your help. Be safe.

8. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I would recommend a call to Danny Herman too. If you live in one of their Lanes. We are absolutely loaded with freight right now. Long length of haul and great Lanes. Lots of border freight from Calexico, Nogales, El Paso, Laredo. I am currently running 3600-3800 miles per week. Those are hub miles, paid miles are about 3200-3500.

9. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Thanks again. But to be clear. Because I don't know anything about trucking. I'm looking into the big carriers because I know, they spend millions of dollars on training new drivers. And i will never leave their training facility without knowing how to operate a semi . That's what i mean by learning. If they are big companies and they train well, ill call them, sure.

10. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I can tell you that Danny Herman IS a BIG CARRIER. 450+ trucks on the road. Not a MEGA but big by industry standards. In business since 1962. Good luck to you. I had a great experience and a good start to my career at Swift. I would not discourage you in any way from taking that route.

jc3737 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.