New Driver... Need a lot of help, suggestions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by JJPowelly, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Hey guys, I recently acquired my CDL class A with all endorsements... I'm in a rather weird situation in that I'm actually and Mechanical/Electrical engineer and I got my CDL because I'm one of the founders of a new tech start-up in which we have limited funds and would like to save as much money as possible in building out our company, machines, facility, etc... We've decided that since we will be purchasing a decent amount of CNC machines and other heavy equipment that we should purchase our own rig and trailer and have me (just got my CDL) go and pick up all this equipment from around the country and haul it all back to our facility.

So here is what I would like to ask you pros on how I should go about this... I was thinking the best option would be to get a moffett flatbed trailer with a forklift so when we purchase our used CNC machines I can go to where they are located, load them on my flatbed, and haul them back to the facility... They only problem, it seems most moffett forklifts only have about a 5k lbs max lifting capacity... However, a Haas Vf6 CNC weighs about 7.5kg (~15000lbs)... I need a forklift that will be able to lift these machines onto the trailer and the trailer must also be able to mount that forklift to the back so that it's not taking up valuable trailer space...

I come from a long line of truckers (both uncles, two cousins, and my grandfather were all teamsters)... So I've been around trucks... It's always been a goal of mine to get my CDL, however, I went the college route and got my engineering degree... But since I recently got my CDL, I'm very wet behind the ears (green) on the technicalities of trailers, loading them, and all the possible different configurations I may need to get the job done...

I would like to pick some of your guy's brains to help me out in figuring out what exactly I need in terms of rig, trailer and forklift to accomplish what I would like to accomplish for this new start-up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I would just like to figure out what the best method and ways I should go about doing this.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    A forklift with the capacity you need is going to weigh 20K+ on it's own. There is no such thing in a moffet style like you were thinking of.

Also looking up the specs for the machine you listed it is way too big to be hauled on a standard flatbed. The listed dimensions are 107" Wide x 189" Long x 130" High. That puts it as overwidth on an a lowboy style trailer.

Most standard flatbeds can only handle 8'-8.5' High. A standard stepdeck can usually handle about 10' high on the deck.

Getting insurance for a driver with zero commercial driving history and a company with no trucking history is going to be stupid expensive. More than you might think.

If you have limited funds paying the pros to do the job will be FAR cheaper than trying to run your own truck.

4. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Thank you Razororange for the info.... Yes, I'm already well aware that insurance will be expensive... But it's always been a dream of mine to do this... Any way I could possibly figure out how to do this on my own would be amazing...

I guess then, holding aside the insurance and obvious insanity of trying to do this as a rookie driver, what would be the best setup to actually move these machines? That Haas that I listed was just off the top of my head, we won't be getting that exact machine... But we will be getting a few large CNCs... I'm just looking for guidance on what would be the appropriate rig and set-up to make it happen.

Again, I know this sounds insane, and quite frankly dumb, trying to do this fresh out of getting my CDL.

5. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Side note.... That Haas VF6, abot 30" of its height is due to the ATC, which can be disconnected for transport... So I would be under 90-100" on machine height on the trailer. I have no problem taking the machines apart to transport them... Honestly, like I said, it's always been a dream of mine to acquire this skills and have no problem learning this via trial by fire... When I say low budget for the start-up, I'm talking about under $1,500,000... We have some very affluent investors. All I really want to gain out the the experience is solid trucking experience.... Believe me, I know this is a crazy/insane goal and proposition... I'm well aware how ridiculous this sounds.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You must have been born sperm lucky to be wasting money like this. Leave it to a professional. You can play trucker some other time. Hauling stuff you don't even know how to secure is not a good or safe plan.

7. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I totally get trying to do the job yourself.

The thing is that you will honestly be wasting money doing it that could be put to better use. Just because somebody writes you a check for $3,000,000 doesn't mean you have to spend every dime.

The far more efficient way to do this task money wise is to hire a rigging company to load your CNC machine onto a truck/trailer you've hired from a freight broker.

Also it's not so much about the cost for insurance as it is that you are literally un-insurable. No underwriter in their right mind would ever agree to cover you. You have no experience.

The big carriers(Swift/Schneider/JB Hunt/Werner/CR England) can hire people with no experience because they are self insured. If an insurance company was involved they would have to close their doors with the number of wrecks their drivers are at fault in.

I've hauled several large CNC machines myself. They can be a bear to deal with. They generally don't have great securement points. Usually you have to pull covers and try to get into the cast base to find anything not made of plastic or flimsy sheet metal.

A 3 axle tractor and a 30-35T RGN trailer would be the most useful for what you are trying to do.

Keep in mind that you will be spending money on fuel to get to the machine if you aren't hauling anything out. Fuel right now is about $3.00-$3.50 a gallon in most of the US. Your truck even empty will likely get somewhere around 6-7MPG. It will get lower once loaded especially if you are oversize and have a tarp on the load. Don't be surprised if you see down to 3-4MPG or worse depending on headwinds.

Your forklift capable of lifting a large machine that weighs around 15k lbs will likely need a capacity of closer to 20k lbs because the weight will be pretty far out from the mast of the lift. That 20K Capacity forklift is going to weigh at least 25-30K lbs. So you will need to use your RGN to haul just that forklift on it's own to the loading site. Then you need a second truck, trailer, and driver to haul your CNC machine separately. So now you're up to 2 trucks to haul one machine or you can do it with 1 truck and make 2 trips. First trip is you haul your forklift to site and return with the machine. Second trip to go recover your forklift from the loading site.

8. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Yeah, that makes 100% perfect sense... I'm starting to see the problems in this plan.

gentleroger and Razororange Thank this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    And kudos to you for seeing this. I read the thread and agree with the advice.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  10. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018

Definitely wasn't sperm lucky... Like I said, most of the men in my family were truckers... I was just fortunate enough to join the military, get the GI Bill, and somehow got into a top engineering and physics program. So Now I have a network of people willing to throw money at high tech startup companies I form... Other than that, I grew up syrup sandwich and dirt floor poor.

11. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    So let us hold aside the oversized load of large CNC machines, we're still going to need to obtain and haul a lot of materials and other machines... I'm already, given the advice of you guys, going to decide to have the much more cumbersome loads handled by pros. But what about stock materials, smaller machines and the like? As long as the individual things I am hauling are under 5k lbs, should I be alright with a flatbed with a moffett?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.