New Driver... Need a lot of help, suggestions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by JJPowelly, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    I'm currently located in NJ/NYC area, our facility will be in Montreal Canada.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    This start-up will not be a manufacturing machine shop where we will be going through that kind of material in a single day... It's actually a Nuclear Fusion start-up where we will be trying to build a fusion reactor... Every part we make will be one off.

4. Steve from hutch

Steve from hutch Medium Load Member

Why would you even consider a flat bed tractor/trailer for these little machines?

5. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    For side loading them... Figured it would be easier than having a box trailer and needing to move them in form the back to the front of the trailer. Just simply take the forklift and load them onto the trailer from the side. I'm assuming I most likely wont have bays to load the machines onto the trailer.

6. Steve from hutch

A deck over trailer can haul most everything you are considering, the big machining centers excluded. My trailer that I used wasn't even a deck over, just a 16K equipment trailer.

Even with the certs you have getting approval to do rigging at any big shop will be difficult, I tried getting some friend qualified at a couple of airplane factories, you just about have to walk on water at some places.

Steve

JJPowelly Thanks this.
  7. Steve from hutch

This is the only pic I can find right now, 12~13K of lathe.

Attached Files:

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I heard Bob Villa say "if it's gonna cost you the same to do it yourself: hire a professional"

1johnb, shogun, TripleSix and 3 others Thank this.
  9. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Thanks Steve, these are the logistical issues that I was looking for... Also, thank you to all you other guys too... I appreciate your input, even the ones saying it's stupid/crazy - I know it is... Like I said, I know this is an insane/stupid idea. But the lead investor is keen on the idea of us having our own rig... Here's the justifications...

1) Setting up our rig, buying tractor/trailer and auxiliary equipment will cost ~$70000... We will be buying everything used and try to find the best deal possible... (this will also maintain resale value of the truck and equipment, which would be liquidatible, if we need to, at about $60k in the future)

2) We need specialized CNC machines for this facility to get the machines we need, we also need to get them at very low prices (mostly liquidation and auction).... Considering a new Swiss lathe CNC that we need costs $1,000,000 new, we need to be able to find them very cheap, used, to be able to buy them below our budget... That requires being able to pick them up wherever they are. despite the cost of gas and travel - it's still worth it to just go pick it up.

3) We'll also be picking up ~50 conex boxes from the local port... That alone will pay for itself by having our own truck to do that. Adding that up for hiring a truck and driver 50x, would definitely offset the cost of doing it ourselves vs hiring a company.

3) Honestly, I just like the idea of finally being able to drive a truck and have one at my disposal and be able to gain experience driving. It's not a hobby - believe me - I take it seriously... I've just always wanted to be able to drive the truck and drive it well, this is my opportunity in life to do that.

I'm really just looking for guidance on how to own and operate a rig that the company will use to get what we need that I will ultimately be in charge of... That's it... I know I'll never be a pro driver, but I had family members that were and I have always admired and respected the profession... I'm excited about being able to finally drive on the open road and this startup is allowing me to do that.

10. Steve from hutch

Find a driver, being a private carrier is not as bad as for hire insurance wise, a diver with a few years of seat time can get the ball rolling. As far as seat time for you, ask a few insurance brokers?

Find a retired driver or someone that can do a little moonlighting. Who is going to administer the DOT number? Have you researched the IRP/IFTA registration and DOT oversight requirements ?

Steve

Razororange and JJPowelly Thank this.
  11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Ok, so you want to drive a big truck, cool, get that.
    Trying to do things at a very low cost to keep under buget, ok get that.

Truth is your getting in over your head right now.
    It looks like your truck and equipment budget is to low. My guess that is the same on operating said truck.
    Most people have overlooked that the company will have its base of operations in Canada. This changes all sorts of rules, regulations, logistics. Now your crossing a border.
    US and Canadian customs registration, permits and paper work. Do it wrong and the hold up could take a long time to fix, plus the fees and fines.

The logistics of transportation is very time demanding.
    When your out doing the actual driving, who will be getting the next machine ready for transport?

Oh yeah back to customs and the machines.
    While Canada is an allied nation, you still have state department clearance. Sounds crazy, but it is real.
    Yeah, thats a nightmare waiting to happen.
    So your working on nuclear fusion.......boy howdy......
    Building reactors. For energy production? What is the target output? The company is registered with international, US and Canadian regulatory agencies, right.

JJPowelly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.