New driver needs advice

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Bosya, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Bosya

Bosya Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Hi i just recently got my CDL class A. I live in South Florida. Does anyone know how i can find a local route where i can be home daily. Everywhere i look online all I can find is OTR but due to my situation at home i can't leave for that long. Can anyone recommend what I can do to find local work for a new driver. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are in gator alley.

You can maybe sign on with Provisioning to feed literal the Miami cruise ships via Sysco, Boars Head etc.

Or you are going to put the house to sleep a certain time and GO to where the job IS with a small pad or quality hotel to look forward to to at least get out of that truck occasionally.

If you know you are going to be off occasionally, grab a B&B room with service and a rental. Get things going.

There are possibilities but take them with a grain of salt. For example up in or near Carpenters we had what was called land of cabooses on the road to Paradise (Intercourse PA US 30, where it met the Strasburg RR that came from Lancaster. You could get a good quiet bed at night in a good working caboose up to code. That 5:30 whistle call from either the number 90 or the number 475 is a good wake up call. Anytime you hear 31's switcher whistle, you would know that there is a little bit of work afoot. They are a working railroad before they haul children and people.

For me it's a happy place. Nothing bad ever happens there or is expected to. Between myself and a number of others around it's not a good place for bad guys. There are just too many children being carefully protected as they have a bunch of fun. And we are fortunate that People are watchful and more or less where possible look out for one another.

Sisbro Thanks this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Beverage, food service. Colca Cola plant on Hollywood Boulevard and Pepsi facility in Pompano.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where in South Florida?
    If you can do a daily commute to one of the big airports in Orlando or Miami, try Gate Gourmet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sky Chefs is same type company as Gate Gourmet; deliver food carts to passenger airlines at the major airports.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Bosya Thanks this.
  8. Bosya

Bosya Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback

9. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    OP a word of advise. Since you’re wanting local. Go straight for it, and stay if you can. If you go out OTR, companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi have little desire to hire someone that wants to come in from the road. Not saying they won’t hire you later, if you did go OTR for awhile. Just saying it makes it more difficult to get in the door.

The attitude is that you’re little more than a steering wheel holder. And have never really done manual labor or dealt on a personal level with customers.

That’s been my experience. Your MMV

Hotplate, Redtwin, speedyk and 2 others Thank this.
  10. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.