New driver, no experience looking for work

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Oldfogey, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Oldfogey

Oldfogey Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    New Brunswick
    Hello everyone, I am brand new to trucking. After working in an office for the past 25 years, I am burnt out (just coming off stress leave). I have always wanted to drive ever since I was a young kid (currently 51). I am enrolled in a CDL course and I will get my license soon. As a person with no Class 1 experience and not able to travel to the US, will I be able to get Canada only work? I live in New Brunswick and I am looking for OTR or oilfield work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

canadian Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldfogey

Oldfogey Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    New Brunswick
    Not one person willing to comment?

4. raydregs

raydregs Bobtail Member

May 22, 2016
    dont give up when the time is right everything will fall in place

Oldfogey Thanks this.
  5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Not too sure what the job market in new Brunswick is like, but it should be possible to get Canada only work if you look hard enough. I know many companies in my area that to Canada only. If you can't find a job in your area and want to do OTR you can also travel to a nearby company terminal and drive from there. Age shouldn't be a big factor my dad started driving at 49 and he's 59 now. There is no shortage of trucking Jobs, I'd say even for a new driver you have quite a few options.

Oldfogey Thanks this.
  6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Age is not a problem. Most companies consider us mature, reliable and dependable. :cool:
    Recruiters usually make a pitch at the schools. I’m not familiar with companies in your area
    Whatever you do don’t run team unless you are really hard up for cash!
    Good luck

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. canadian

canadian Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Surrey, British Columbia
    For the first 3 months or so you should partner up with an Owner/Operator or a 5 year+ veteran team driver (someone who's been doing teams for at least 5 years) who is willing to sit in the passenger seat and watch you drive, and show you the ropes. OTR work can be lonely so make sure you listen to your body and cut back your workload if you find the loneliness becomes a habit in itself. For me 50-60H per week seems to be the sweet spot between getting enough bank, and getting enough time to do life outside that rolling cage. Depression is the white elephant in the room when it comes to driving truck so get help if you start heading downhill too fast, mentally speaking. If you are well-connected socially before trucking, try your best to maintain those connections or you will end up finding out you're just a stranger to them, later on down the road.

Short-Haul or regional runs will provide you the least amount of stress due to minimal city driving, while still being able to maintain contact regularly with your social life. You can reduce your risk of crashes by driving at night, when there is less traffic.

Also avoid any company that refuses to put your employment agreement in writing, or seems the least bit shady. When picking a company aim for the ones that are NOT common carriers. They are the companies that own the products they are moving by truck, that's the ones you want to target first because they have more control over the purse strings, and it's one less middleman between you and your paycheque, which often translates into a bigger paycheque. I suggest you try Canadian Linen first. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Oldfogey Thanks this.
  8. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    My vote is Schneider, they have a big terminal in St Johns NB. Good Training, lots of runs, never short of freight, and its a good place to train.

If you were in Ontario, I would say Challenger.

Oldfogey Thanks this.
  9. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Is Challenger out in NB?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  10. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Out here in BC there's tons of job ads for guys willing to run team. Almost all say no experience needed. Granted, that group usually runs 4 to a truck, but if you're lucky, you'd only live your life dangerously while sleeping when the other clod is driving. The only downside is that you'd have to learn a new language. I won't get into what they do to the floor of the sleepers so they don't have to stop unless for fuel....

canadian and Phantom Trucker Thank this.
  11. Oldfogey

Oldfogey Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    New Brunswick
    No Challenger in NB.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.