New driver starting out needing $60k a year.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by localguy65, Sep 14, 2018.

1. localguy65

localguy65 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I know @Chinatown will have the best and most up to date info on this.

I need 60-65k a year to go over the road as my wife will have to quit her job to take care of the kids.

I'm in the Raleigh, NC area.

My 1st option is still to go local but OTR is becoming more appealing as I'm going through CDL school.

Thank you for your time!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not going to happen. Sorry.

Your first few years in trucking will have a certain amount of ... losses as you learn. If you make it long enough, you begin to do well. If you do not? Well, that mythical 60K will be a hard road indeed.

Oldironfan, Lepton1 and Lav-25 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try to get hired by Old Dominion Freight Line in Greensboro and you'll make that plus have good benefits. Try for a line haul job there.
    If that doesn't work, go with a tanker outfit and you'll make that. I'll get a list together for you.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    RedRover, Lepton1, CJ701 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CDL-A OTR Dedicated Dry Van Truck Driver - Hazmat
    UPS Truckload Company Driver - Raleigh, NC
    Click here to apply > Apply On Company Site
    UPS Freight Truckload is hiring motivated professional truck drivers to work as full-time OTR Dry Van Drivers. This position involves driving a tractor-trailer for the over-the-road delivery of freight to two or more locations. OTR drivers can expect to take a load from any of our shippers, and deliver North and South East, and as far West as Waterloo, IA.Dedicated OTR Dry Van Truck Drivers are typically on the road from 7-10 days at a time. CDL-A Truck Driver Requirements Pass DOT physical & UPS Freight road test. Have a valid CDL-A with Hazmat endorsement. Comply with appearance standards. Be 21 years of age. Must be able to read, write, & speak the English language. Must meet the DOT/company physical requirements. Must receive satisfactory results from background check. Must pass a drug screening. UPS is an equal opportunity employer – race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.Apply for CDL-A Truck Driver jobs with UPS Truckload Today!

BCV, Lepton1 and CJ701 Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Local might be better with wife working part time at least. I had same dilema. $17 hr 60 hrs w/ time and half ( that’s where you make it) puts you where you need to be. So does $15 hr at 49 hrs week Her $10 hr @ 40 hrs. Add health benefits both jobs= less out of pocket costs.Add taking family fishing etc Priceless. That’s how the normal folks make it I’m told.Thats possible one way or another.OTR first yr probably be Lucky to get $40k

7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If money is that important.
    Look at oilfield.
    Just had a driver claim I could make 3 to $3.5k a week. As a company driver. West Texas oilfield. Doing pneumatic trailer for sand(?).

8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    $60K is possible your first year OTR. I stay out 2 months at a time though which may not work for you.

9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    What was the name of the company?. Did you see his settlement showing tax deductions?. Youtube is full of guys claiming $3K per week, then you realize they are 1099 and that $3K was their highest check. They quickly claim oilfield "ups and downs" when called out.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don’t know nothin’ bout internet. I talked to the guy face to face. He’s an O/O. Said he paid off his new truck in no time.

Texas Rebel and Redtwin Thank this.
  11. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Is he an O/O or a Company driver?. You initial post said company.

For the record, I consider a company driver one who is employed by a company on W2 with taxes and all that happy stuff deducted from their check.

CJ701 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.