New driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nikki3587, May 29, 2017.

1. Nikki3587

Nikki3587 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Hi.... So this is my first two weeks on a truck after i got my cdl. I must say it was everything i expected and then some. I like getting the real driving experience but im missing my family alot. I should have started off by saying i am a female and alot of this is all new to me. One thing i have found out to be true is alot of other professional drivers have very little common knowledge of other drivers. I am new so i am nervous ive been cussed out by other truck drivers and then some. I just wanted to drop this out there to remind everyone to show some respect and understanding for new drivers! No one was born with a cdl and i am still learning so instead of cussing me out and flipping me off in your company rigs get out and help me back. Teach me i am easy to learn and i welcome all the help i can get as will a lot of other new drivers. Just a friendly reminder! Happy trucking!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    I've been in transportation my whole life. And I've had my class A for almost 3 yrs now. Backing comes very easy to me but I'm not to proud to ask for a spotter. Sometimes the only way to learn is to ask a question. There are a lot of willing teachers out on the road. But most of their holier than thou attitudes and my load/time is more precious than yours. Makes dealing with the self righteous BS unbearable sometimes. Anyways my advice is to watch other good drivers and their techniques. As well as show up to shippers/receivers or shut down a little early to be able to find someone to spot you or give you some tips. The best bit I can offer is never rush. When you rush, that's when bad things happen.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Take the time you need and don't worry about those other jerks.
    Get out and look as often as you need to - but TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

Any one of those drivers would be much more upset if you took off the front of their truck while trying to back in more quickly.
    And it wouldn't do your career any favors either.

5. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Nikki3587 please don't pay no mind to those super truckers they like to think they were born with the skill. Family time it's hard but I would strongly suggest to get you a dog or a cat to make your trips more enjoyable and also keep in contact with your family as often possible. Now as @str8t10 said watch other drivers how they do it or I would suggest to buy a toy tractor trailer and practice, I know the sound of it its silly but it works and you would have an idea how to setup and place trailer into the hole.

Be safe out there god bless ya trucker.

tinytim, Nikki3587 and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  6. Nikki3587

Nikki3587 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Thank you very much this is much helped. I really appreciate it!

7. Nikki3587

Nikki3587 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Thank you and that makes sense straight backing i am fine but 45s make me nervous.... Thanks for the pointers

8. Nikki3587

Nikki3587 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Thank for the toy comment i think yhat would help.... I tend to over steer when i get nervous... And god bless you!

9. Nikki3587

Nikki3587 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Thanks i need all the xtra help i can get!

10. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Go to the back of the lot at a large truck stop during the day when there are a lot of spots and practice parking it over and over. That practice will pay off later when parking is tight.

powerstroke67 and tinytim Thank this.
  11. Nikki3587

Nikki3587 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Thanks i will do.... I really think that will help

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.