NEW ELD standard Triggering my E-Logs in yard movement

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by johnnyman1099, Aug 13, 2017.

1. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My company just switched to the new E-Logs standard and it is a nightmare for me especially for the inyard movements. If i go 5mph, it triggers my elog regardless of mile radius. So, if i need to move my rig in the middle of my rest period, it will put me as driving. You cannot move at less than 5mph on any street or even at the parking lots. Its too slow.

Many other drivers i talked to on ELogs say that yard moves doesnt trigger the Elog unless it is over 1-3 miles or if they drive faster than 15mph. Another driver told me theirs doesnt trigger at any speeds as long as they are in 3 mile radius. My previous company uses Qualcomm elog and as long as we stay under 15mph and 1 mile radius, elog doesnt trigger.

So i had a talked about this issue with our safety person and she said that by December, all carriers will have to use this new setting to be in compliant with the new standards. New standards means less than 5mph period.

This really sucks. The other day, i couldnt find a parking space at TA around 6pm. So i got creative and parked out of the way. They later woke me up to move my rig and i triggered my elog even though i swore i went less than 4mph.

Another time, i got to the consignee late at night and parked across the street in their lot. Come next morning, they wanted me to move across the street to unload. It was into my 7th hour rest so i couldnt move to get unload because going 3mph across an intersection is crazy. A TMC driver with Elog that was still in his rest period had no problems with going across the street to unload, and drove 2 blocks to a Walmart to continue his rest. If what my safety person told me is true, the new ELD standard is going to put a lot of drivers in violation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm. Our Qualcomm allows up to 25mph. I bet its a setting they can change. I haven't heard of any changes coming in December for us. But maybe.

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    You could just log off or unplug it. My elog doesn't trigger right away. Enough to move the rig if i'm in the way of someone.

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Thread# 1111114799999 on my elog won't let me violate the HOS

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    #### it is nice to sleep at the shipper and not log on until you are loaded. Maximize your 14 hour clock. That would be hell if you couldn't move your truck across the property during off duty. We all do it and its not even frowned upon.

7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Until the Mandate goes into effect the movement speed is regulated by your company. WHEN the mandate goes into effect the Mandate says UP TO 5mph you can move without triggering a line change. When you hit 5mph you will trigger a line change. Even if the Mandate is in effect your company can set lower than 5mph.

Until the Mandate it is up to your company.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Try this and see what happens ...
    Let's say you're Off Duty, then move across the yard and stop - does it say Off Duty, or Drive?

Regardless, if it says Drive, change it back to Off Duty, than check the graph and see if maybe it didn't revert the accrued drive time back to Off Duty. If not, the system can maybe be provisioned to allow for more flexibility.

Every system is different and have different ways of provisioning, and allowing "manual changes inside of a time/distance window" to revert back to original status or at least to keep from changing to On Duty or Drive, if you make the change soon enough.

9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    This is the new standard coming in December. This is why I say if drivers want to stay 100% compliant, their paychecks will drop by about $150 bucks a week. It's that one or two loads a week that you used to do where you unloaded during your '10' off duty or sleeper which we will no longer be able to do without having to start our 10 hour break all over again.

So a driver has 7 hours toward a 10 hour break, has to take another 10 hour break to clear the violation, in effect has had a 17 hour break and maybe lost out on that morning's reload and will have to wait til the next morning which could put the total downtime in the 30 hour range between certain loads whereas in the past, drivers were banging out new loads after a simple 10 hour break or so.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    austinmike Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This will not stand. I don't think it's actually going to be mandated that way, but if it is it will be undone within 30 days because of all the outrage and shelves emptying out. There's not adequate parking for current trucks and HOS rules, now if 10% have to break an additional 20-30 hours week because their shop moved the truck or they had to move to door? Again it will not stand. The reefer segment especially can't stand for this just to get the food moved with current HOS rules, they certainly can't have their productivity cut 10-20% overnight and be expected to move the same amount of freight.

Trust me, there are bridges too far, and this would/will be one that will not be tolerated by the industry.

scottied67 and JReding Thank this.
  11. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Use personal conveyance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.