New employee receiving 1099-misc

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by tazzzytazus, Feb 12, 2020.

1. tazzzytazus

tazzzytazus Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Help! I just started with a new company that doesn’t tax. 1099-misc is how my income will be reported on. I’ve downloaded quick books self-employed and I am currently using it.

I do not own the truck, so I know I can’t keep track of mileage, repairs etc...

my question is, am I eligible for per diem? If I am, do I need to keep all these dang meal receipts?

When it comes to paying quarterly taxes, what’s my best way to figure how much? Can I subtract my per diem I can claim for that quarter out my my tax payment. Assuming I can claim per-diem.

what are y’all who have experience as a 1099-misc employee doing that works best for you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Do you know why you're being paid as a 1099 contractor and not a W-2 employee?

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If you did not plan on being 1099 you might not be getting a good deal. They generally do 1099 to save on taxes but since you don't own the truck air anything your really W-2 employee. I guess you can write stuff off till anyone says anything. Your taking some chance if the IRS ever says anything but so is your boss for 1099 you. It not really enforce much. You will have to pay more taxes and on the money you make but you can write stuff off like Per Diem and business expenses. Their is some 20% pass thru deduction 1099s get. You can always get a tax person to figure all it all out. That what they get paid to do. That business expenses also.

Snow Hater and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I suspect you are with a shyster company not paying taxes having you as 1099.

And you are working as a W2 employee on appearances if you have not any ownership in the tractor trailer.

Get out of there.

6. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    How much are they paying you CPM on 1099? I see ads high as .60 with detention, layover, extra drop pay just like a real employee, plus they fix the truck and pay for fuel.

I don't like tax cheats but at .60, and some extra deductions, the self employment deduction, that could be high pay for OTR.. Assuming the miles are there.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    As person who work as 1099 for 6 month, be ready to pay 30% from all your income in the end of a year, so if you making 1000 a week , in the end IRS will take 300 of each of your paycheck, honestly there is always a better option just to find trucking companies who pays regular w2

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    As a 1099 employee you probably don't have Workman's Comp. If you get hurt on the job you're on your own.

jbatmick and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. kb09

kb09 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I have been an employee receiving a 1099 for the past 10 years. It's very hard to come up with enough deductions to write off since I have no ownership.
    I have been asking for a w-2 for years and my employer says he can't afford it. Don't let anyone hand you that line. I finally quit a week ago being fortunate enough for my boss agreeing to pay my taxes which is cheap comparatively.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You probably "Quit for cause" tell that to the unemployment agent why. Particularly the refusal to be allowed W2 status. The State will be all over it.

I have won in the past "Quit for cause" against bad employers in trucking. Just need to document the situation, name names in writing and what exactly happened. Turn that into the state for trial as evidence to decide if you get unemployment or not. But be prepared, employers who lose in conference judgement on phone with you and court when your state rules in your favor against the employer, they will get violent and nasty and do whatever they can to get you excluded from the industry.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Do you have a contract?

If not, you are an employee and need to have them fulfill their legal obligation.

wis bang, Ffx95 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.