New Equipment Sales Tax???

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by JLT, Oct 27, 2020.

1. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I live in GA, do any of y’all know if we trade trucks are we sales tax exempt leased to LS like other OTR companies? If so what’s the procedure? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you are buying a tag thru l/star and have to get title in il. you can by/pass paying the ga. sales tax by not getting a ga. title.

JLT Thanks this.
  4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    If I understand correctly you don't have to pay sales tax. Not an expert though. But I know for sure I don't pay any sales tax in Pa or Ohio if it involves my semi truck. That includes my two local parts stores, dealership, and speedco/ loves. Oh and tires. Federal excise tax is unavoidable, pertaining to tires and new equipment. Most will let you pay state sales tax if you don't ask about the exemption.

Jarhed1964, Lostkeys, User666 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I've purchased several brand new pieces of equipment and never paid sales tax.
    But, on new equipment you have to pay federal excise tax. I think 10%.

JLT and stillwurkin Thank this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Why would he have to get a title in Il? The tags will be from Indiana if he buys them from LS, but that doesn't have anything to do with where his truck is titled.

OP FYI: If you title it in Georgia and buy Indiana tags through LS the state of Georgia will not release the title to your finance company until the sales tax is paid and you have provided them with a copy of your LS cab card showing that you registered it in another state.

JLT and stillwurkin Thank this.
  7. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I called Jody Smith with LS today and she said they do not use a Illinois title company anymore,like you said Antinomian we get our tags through Indiana, I asked her if it works the same way and she has not responded to that email yet, I know when I bought my current truck I got a Landstar tag and when I paid it off this year the lien holder sent me the title and it was from Illinois. I’m hoping IN will do they same but don’t know. Thnks everyone for your help.

baha Thanks this.
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    One other thing about Georgia I forgot to mention is that they require a DOT number on the title application. You can get a registration only DOT number if you don't already have one.

9. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    When I titled my truck (Wisconsin) I just had to give them an MC number and was then exempt from sales tax.

stillwurkin and Lostkeys Thank this.
  10. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Landstar says I’m on my own with the taxes, so I’m going to try and pursued Ga to not have to pay the taxes.

11. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Tell the state the unit is used for interstate transport. That should make it exempt from state tax.

oicu812, JLT and stillwurkin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.