New FM doesn't give me good hometime

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Vwal528, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Vwal528

Vwal528 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Albany, NY
    ok so the last two times I have come home, i've had MINOR issues with getting my full 3 days. The first time I came home under a load, got home friday at about 1700, my FM says to deliver the load and come back out Monday morning. Not really 3 days, so I said something about it and she told me to deliver the load monday and go back home till Tuesday, great no problem.
    This time I got home Friday about 1400, she says come back out monday morning, I ask her if I can come back monday @ noon, because that would be 3 days. she says "well you'll have saturday and sunday...", I say "umm", she quickly says "ok, Monday at noon".

I know I am being picky because its a difference between 2 1/2 and 3 days. BUT, the thing is my old FM always gave me almost exactly the home time that I earned. The two times i've gone home since i've had this new lady, I don't get that same treatment. I left her a very polite voice mail just confirming that monday at noon would be ok, because that would be 3 days, and making sure i'm not asking for too much time, that was yesterday afternoon, she never called back.
    Not a big deal at this point, but if it happens again Im going to be upset that Roehl is trying to make me compromise home time. Its frustrating that 2 fm's seem to have different attitudes toward home time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Your going to get different results in any type of work related response when comparing 2 different people. 1 will look at it as He arrived home Friday ( might have been 6PM ) so 3 days is Monday morning , the other will look at is he arrived home Friday at 2 PM so Monday 2PM.

4. Vwal528

Dec 25, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Yea, Im going to try and hold them to 3 full days fair and square. Its their policy, so I don't feel bad making sure I get it.

5. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    3 days to me is 3 days. Getting home Friday night and leaving Monday morning is not 3 days as Friday is shot. How long has the lady been dispatching? Sounds like she just needs to get her feet wet in learning the drivers and their habits. Although drivers are guaranteed 3 days some don't want it so she is learning who wants what. When I was otr I didn't want or need 3 full days off and was just fine with a couple of days and my DM ran me like that. However, If I needed 3 or 4 days (very infrequent) I got it with no questions asked as I ran every load I was given and didn't complain. You said that when you pointed it out to her she immediately changed so no harm, right? Maybe some weeks you can use the extra money so point out to her that 80% of the time you want the full 3 days but sometimes you will be ok with it shortened and you will tell her a couple of days in advance if thats the case.

6. skootertrashr6

skootertrashr6 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    When they go home for their 2 days off on the weekend and leave Friday afternoon at 4pm do they come back to work 4pm Sunday? That is 2 days isn't it? But they don't come back till 7am Monday, they don't count their days off until after midnight on day they left work. Remember our logs are based per day on 1 24 hour period at a time that is how I take my days off. My day off doesn't start till midnight on day I return home. So if I run for 3 weeks and return home Friday at 3pm my first day off away from work/truck is Saturday from midnight to midnight, meaning I don't go back to work until Tuesday after taking my full 3 days/3 24 hour periods away from truck that I earned.

MNdriver, snowman01 and Frenzy Thank this.
  7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    That's trucking. If the DM has freight to move, they need you back. If nothing to haul, stay home. It is all about the customer, not so the driver.

8. Vwal528

Dec 25, 2011
    Albany, NY
    And thats precisely the attitude that makes a company a bad company to drive for, you have to value your drivers.

Roehl isn't one of those companies though, i'm still happy with my choice

skyviper73 and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  9. Vwal528

Dec 25, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Thats a good point, I never thought of it like that. Do you drive for Roehl? cause my home time always starts as soon as I park my truck at home.
    That sounds pretty generous, that would definitely be pushing it if I asked to come back on tuesday.

10. Vwal528

Dec 25, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I was thinking the same thing. She does come across as sort of inexperienced. My last FM either quit or got fired idk. This fm is supposed to just be temporary until someone new is trained.

11. americanmadetrucker

americanmadetrucker Logistical Engineer

Jul 3, 2012
    I'm glad to have a job. I do what I'm told and and I'm happy with it. I can pay my light bill at home,put food on the table,go out to dinner with my wife and buy basicly anything i need or want. All do to the fact I have a job! I'm thankful and don't push my luck. I make more money than most people in my town and a few of those people have masters degrees! Don't sweat the small stuff....If you're honest with yourself, most of it ......IS small stuff! Don't worry and be happy!:yes2557:

Marranhick, sly1 and Traumadrew Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.