New FM doesn't give me good hometime

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Vwal528, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I would ask her to define company policy. Does your hometime start at midnight the day you get home or the hour you get home.

The company is all about getting the freight you have on your truck to the company that ordered it. Do you not have a appointment time to deliver?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moriarti

Moriarti Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Yes, Fleet Managers are like people, in that way.

Now, hopefully someone more experienced in the nuances of 11/3 hometime can speak up, as I was never a part of that system, but I *thought* company policy was along the lines of "If you're home by 1500, then that counts as one of your days home."

lastly, and I'm sorry if this gets too heavily into semantics here, if you leave your fm a voicemail "Ok, I'm home, Set me up as available at noon Monday, and have a good weekend." Then there's really no reason for her to confirm acceptance, it's a waste of her time, and yours. It's her burden to inform you if that's not acceptable. You could even call in to weekend dispatch, if you wanted to have them confirm what's set for you, if you'd like.

4. skootertrashr6

skootertrashr6 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    No, I was with may trucking before and not aloud to take truck home, and they tried pulling that with me and not give me my earned home time until I told them same thing that I posted, after that they never questioned it again. I am now driving for Melton and get to take my truck home so it might have to change, but industry standard is 1 day off for every 7 days out. Now if I get home at 2 or 3 am that is different story but when I get home at 8 pm and have 2 days off I am not going back on duty or in truck till Monday morning when sun comes out

5. jacob

jacob Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    My fleet manager has always counted my home time as starting the day after I get home. I'm due home Wednesday, but my home time won't start until Thursday and then I'm not due back out until the following Wednesday as I will have six days off. They don't leave work at 5pm on Friday and come back at 5pm on Sunday so why should you lose out on home time? If you are due three days off then you should get three days. Not two and a half. Put your foot down and tell them when you will be ready to head out again. And don't let them tell you "Well you got home at 8pm Friday then you have to leave at 8pm on Monday." If you do any work on a day then that day should not be counted with home time.

6. Matti_M80

Matti_M80 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Boston
    My FM literally does it by arrival time. If I get home shut down at 1600, I need to be good to go by 1600 on day +3. Consistency for hometime rules blows, too many human element discrepancies going on here. :/ should be the same procedure for everybody across the board.

7. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    My FM treats me pretty fair. I had earned 7 days home, got home on a Monday at 1200, told me he has me set up for Tuesday 0700. He likes to get me launched on a day after he works that way he makes sure I have a load coming out before the day.

Try talking to your FM, my last FM out of ellenwood tried shorting me a lot. My new FM is out of marshfield. He's more laid back, if I stay out 17 days I still get 4 days off instead of 3

Ethan

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  8. skyviper73

skyviper73 Heavy Load Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    I got home Thursday at 1400 and my 3 days started Friday. I'm going back out Monday at 0700. It has always been that way for me. I get 3 full days. Roehls policy is 3 days flat. Meaning I should be back in the truck Sunday at 1400, but my DSR's and FM's I have had seem pretty cool about it being 3 days starting the day after I get to the house.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  9. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    next month you could be complaining about not enough miles
    seems picky to me
    Don't worry I dont think many will agree with me
    It really isnt worth my time to explain work ethic
    you wanna be home be home you wanna drive OTR
    drive OTR the 2 dont always meet up

10. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Very true. I consider myself very lucky to get the hometime that I do in this career

Ethan

11. Vwal528

Vwal528 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I don't buy the "welcome to trucking, get used to it" excuse. Its not like OTR trucking is the only industry where you might have to speak up and make sure you get what you were promised.
    Doesn't matter what job it is. It could be trucking or babysitting for all I care.

and "work ethic" doesn't mean letting yourself get taken advantage of. If thats your work ethic I feel sorry for you. I know I have a good work ethic.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    48Packard and skyviper73 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.