New Forum: Diesel Mechanics

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Admin, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    We've added this new sections as a forum for diesel mechanics and shop owners to discuss any topics relevant to repairs, troubleshooting, equipment purchases and setup, or even business advice.

Drivers who work on their own trucks are welcome to use this forum.

Diesel Dave, sawmill, noluck and 12 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    So far most of the posts are coming from regular truck owners and not mechanics. These guys need to be directed to the proper sections of the garage and/or oem specific for their questions.

4. Admin

Apr 6, 2009
    Yes, it's an interesting mix for sure. It looks like people who are hoping for advice and input from mechanics. That's similar to how we see people use the Owner Operator forum and Experienced Driver forum. My feeling is that as long as it's relevant to the section, it should be allowed. That said, it's a new section, and there's certainly room for adjustment as it goes along.

Are there certain topics you were hoping to discuss with other mechanics?

noluck Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That is the thing. If this specific section is for mechanic to mechanic, then having regular owners asking their questions here is just going to clutter up this section to the point where a mechanic asking a legitimate question is going to be missed. This new section has been here only a few days and already I can see myself skipping it because I am not going to filter through 8 questions to finally find one asked by an actual mechanic. If everyone just dumps every question in the first section they come across, those questions get buried quickly and therefore skipped over and missed. I would suspect that is why the forum is broken down into all those specific categories so the proper question goes the proper section where it can be focused on. Just my opinion on that.

MJ1657, SAR and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I agree with @Heavyd. I think the subforum would work much better if it was for mechanic to mechanic type questions or questions related to tooling/shop setup.

SAR and Heavyd Thank this.
  7. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    I agree with Heavyd as well. I love the idea of a spot where techs can ask a question and get answered by a fellow tech. Only problem is there is no control as to who asks or answers questions. If I have a problem on a unit at work and I have diagnosed what I can and still have not found the problem I have posted questions here and have had some good info given in the past. The problem is when my problem gets passed over by a tech with a great amount of experience because there are just to many redundant or off topic questions that unit I'm working on does not get repaired as fast as it could. Also I want to know that the person answering my question is also a tech as I feel the info would be more accurate as the person has probly ran across the same problem. You get a lot of non techs on here answering questions and I feel the accuracy will suffer. This is not a crack at drivers as I am a licensed truck and auto tech, and have also served some time behind the wheel of a truck pulling flatbed long haul. If I have usefull info or experience on a subject I will answer but I will not answer a question just to attempt to appear knowlegable or because I heard some other know it all say it. I belong to a type of "mechanic only" group on social media and it was great at first. Now there has been thousands of people join who are highschool students who claim they are going to be techs, drivers, back yard wannabees and there even was a guy who admitted he was a dentist that is interested in the topic. I don't post questions now as the info is not reliable and most of the time its trolls insulting and causing arguments. I fear the same will happen here. I also don't have a solution. I do love the idea if it can be closely monitored.

MJ1657, SAR, Heavyd and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Admin

Apr 6, 2009
    That's very good feedback, I appreciate each of you taking the time to lay it out. Let me think about this, talk it over with the staff, then run some options by you next week. It's a tough challenge, because we've always refused to create private clubs that would exclude other members from participating, but the issues you've raised clearly need to be addressed in order for this new section of the site to be useful.

SAR and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just an expansion on my previous post:

I can't speak for the other techs but I see this subforum as a place for us to discuss those tricky little problems that stump every tech at the shop. Not the common everyday problems we see posted all the time like how to change a burned out headlight for example. I could also see it being useful for discussing tools, shop layout and questions regarding technical schools and apprenticeships. I realize not all of this is trucking related but one could argue that techs are just as important to this industry as drivers and brokers.

SAR and bowtieboy77 Thank this.
  10. Admin

Apr 6, 2009
    I completely disagree with you, I would never argue that techs are just as important to this industry as brokers. Techs are much more important to this industry than brokers.
    :)

AModelCat and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  11. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Perhaps if you made this sub-section "password protected" you might avoid all the DUMB & Dumber Questions from People with NFI.........

Just thinking out aloud...

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.