NEW GARMIN DEZL 780 & 785

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Wave000, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If they did that, they'd lose out on the sale of the devices. Nobody would buy the app from the app store, because it'd be competing with all sorts of "free" and $0.99 apps that can almost do the same thing. They'd also suffer from bad reviews from trolls, or if the device a person attempted to run the app on was either obsolete or for some other reason not entirely compatible. They'd #### near have to keep a 5-star rating or else it'd scare away potential customers for the price people would have to pay to download it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kuvanito

kuvanito Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2018
    AMEN! to that brother, I was just thinking the same thing, I will gladly pay up to $100 a for a yearly subscription providing that they will include with this subscription map updates free of charge and a bundle with IFTA report. Really all we care is their map routing but IFTA report by states traveled through is nice too. Yes let me use my Samsung Galaxy S9 with the Garmin GPS Mapping software, there is one little problem thou, the Garmin Maps is a GIGANTIC 7GB software :) :) :) :)

jtaran06 Thanks this.
  4. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

So let’s release 2006 android specs and try to run map software on it and sell it for a retarded amount. Makes more sense. Rand I tried and returned. And Garmin I have the dezl 580 cause I was impatient to wait. And it sits in my bag. I been using an app and so far it’s working well. I’m still waiting for them to release a subscription based app.

5. freight shaker

freight shaker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I just bought the dezl 780 and it sucks. The first unit crashed during an update and had to be sent back. The second unit I just got back will not update via wifi or the Express program. Per Garmin tech support, the second unit is bad and will have to be sent back as well. I bought the 780 in the beginning of June and I haven't even logged one mile with the Garmin 780 yet.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  6. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I had that happen to the first 780 I got.

They recently released software version 3.30 with change-log noting they fixed a WiFi update hang bug.
    Still possible to update via computer connection, though that undermines a good selling point.
    I hesitate to download the large map updates via WiFi, but so far all the smaller device updates have gone through 100%

Think they rushed development of their first series of Android based devices, still runs more sluggish at times then older GPS units.

As with all technology, it will improve with time & updates but still hate beta testing bugs.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  7. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I bought a spare 770 for that reason.

8. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Dezl 780 is $30 off from Pilot app.
    Dezl 785 is $30 rebate from TA/Petros

Got myself a 785 just because....

9. JNtransport

JNtransport Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2017
    How do you like the 785. Does anyone use the ELD with the Dezl 785?

10. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Unlike others, my 785 works great. I updated the maps and software without problems. Sometimes it will route me to truck restricted road, so I always double check before I blindly go with the GPS. The dashcam is a little disappointing. When the unit is mounted on the windshield, the recorded video jumps/shakes. I probably will go with 780 next time and get another dashcam. I haven’t used ELD function.

11. JNtransport

JNtransport Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks I was trying to decide about the cam also. I have a ELD now but I’m sick of it using my phone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.