New Graduate Clean Driving Record Clean Background Good Job in Dallas

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DillonJ, Jun 23, 2019.

1. DillonJ

DillonJ Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Northern suburbs of Dallas AREA. Dallas is a huge city and parts of it are hours away from me.

I am getting my CDL graduating on Automatic Transmission hopefully by the end of 4th of July weekend. I really prefer to work locally if not regional with at least 2 days regular home time per week for a good company that provides good training to make me into a professional safe driver but at the same time, I don't want to end up with one of these mega carriers that have 90+% turnover rate with ultra-low pay during training. I need to make some decent money within reason right away.

I have a clean spotless driving record and spotless background. I have my TWIC card interview this coming Friday after a filed application roughly a month ago. I am planning to get all my endorsements upon graduation. I am college educated have extensive training in sales, customer service and soft skills. Not sure if any of these matters... Just giving you all a complete picture of my background.

I have been applying and getting pre-employment offers from all the mega carries, but I really like to end up at a company that I can stay with for the long term. My goal is to get enough experience and buy my own truck. I have the finances to do so right away but as many of you agree it is not advisable with no experience.

Also, another worrisome development is the autonomous trucks. I have come from the technology background and truly believe that this is many many years away but OTR technology assisted driving is not that far off. So I am not sure if it is advisable to be an OTR driver as a new driver. I think it would certainly serve as a wage suppresser for OTR drivers within the next few years.

Specifically what I am looking for is suggestions on choosing a company to start my career upon graduation in a couple of weeks or so. Then a game plan to be able to make some serious money as an owner-operator or outright having my own business as soon as possibly advisable to do so.

Thank you very much for replies.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?

DillonJ Thanks this.
  4. DillonJ

Jun 16, 2019
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    If you have a BA I would suggest you get a BS, if you have a BS I would suggest a masters, do something else other than trucking. The industry is dead and will not survive another 5 years.

I’m doing it not because I wanted to but because I had to to keep a roof over my family’s head while my wife finishes her degree. Then I’m out.

If you entered the game 10-20-30 years ago you are fine you already made your contacts.

With brokerage firms MC’s climbing into the 7digits, it shows how much competition there is on moving freight and prices dropping.

I believe I got in on the down swing of the industry’s last breath last year and somehow defied the odd’s (glory goes to god on this one for saving me and finally in the black now after 1 year of racking up close to 120k in debt) not everyone is willing to sacrifice what I have in order to float.

In my opinion do the job while getting your masters on a online university. Get out ASAP.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    DillonJ Thanks this.
  6. DillonJ

Jun 16, 2019
    I have a BS in computer science and I am doing it because I have not been able to get a decent job. I am in the same place as you need to support my family. I don't want this to get off on a tangent but you have no idea how many degreed folks I am in trucking school with. That was my initial thought to go back to school and further my education and get started with something else. Believe me, I have researched up and down all around. Further education will not do me any good. Please let's not continue this. If there is a way to private message me we can discuss it privately.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    My brain is in neutral.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with Labatt Food Service. Maybe they use automatics.
    I know they have local work and hire new cdl school grads.
    [​IMG]

9. DillonJ

Jun 16, 2019
    yeah, I have filled out an application. I need to check with them. The disturbing thing about them is that they are always advertising. Any other suggestions?

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Bs in computers I’m sorry to hear, I was in the same field in the late 90’s when the tech bubble burst, I went from making 2k a week to $250 because of all the now unemployed Network Administrators out of a job.

I know your pain.

But here’s is the thing. Once you go company it’s going to be pretty hard to keep a family and earn enough to save for a O/O dream. You either start from the beginning or be single to save the money. To do it with a family is going to be super extra hard.

What I’m trying to say is this. You will get a job within a few years you will end up maybe changing companies 2-3 times.

If you have a BS in computers and can’t start your own business and make it succeed doing it in a Truck isn’t going to be better.

When I started I had to go through 50-80 calls a day to get freight, I had to deal with sleazy brokers, everyone goes through it, I needed to have 100k in the bank just to cover costs of bad months, repairs, bills and anything else that came up.

Your best bet is higher education in a different field.

My wife’s going for her CPA license after her graduation and then I’m going for my contractors license after she gets a job.

Trust me do this temporary then get out. Don’t depend on it as a career for the next 20-30 years you will be miserable.

Common decency is out the window with drivers.

You don’t see well mannered driver anymore they are a dying breed.

Everywhere you go some snot nosed kid is looking down at you giving you attitude like you are scum.

Truck stop employees don’t even know if they dispense diesel #2 or biodiesel, almost all O/O care about this.

Majority of the mechanics will rob you for things they didn’t fix. You will learn to fix it yourself. In the end end up being a mechanic.

Just a few of the crap we go through.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Dot Transportation - good reputation & has local/regional/OTR positions.
    Here's the website > DTI - Drive for Dot Transportation
    CDL school tuition reimbursement also.
    Saginaw, TX
    Terminal
    Saginaw, TX 76179

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.