New guy

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by RMMahoney, Feb 6, 2009.

1. RMMahoney

RMMahoney Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for a while and thought I would say hello. I start on Monday, February 9th with DS in Indianapolis IN.

I will admit the economy has me a bit concerned, but I cannot be anymore unemployed than I already am at the moment. I used to work as a EMT and just had my belly full of the EMS system. My father was an O/O and I grew up on a Freightliner cabover until I was 11. So, the life is not totally foreign to me. I know a lot has changed in the industry since 1981, but from what I can see it has gotten in many ways better. MY father was the kind of man who could rive 20+ hours, sleep 4 hours and then turn around a do another 15. Back then you could cook the books if you were smart, but in the end it cost my father his life. He died at 58 from heart failure. He did it the old school way, coffee, cigarettes and will power. He never did drugs and was physically in good shape. He just worked himself to death.

I am not in the position that I need to make lots of money fast, we just sold our home in Austin, TX. I have savings to carry me until the economy strengthens. Worst thing, I get laid off, but I will have a CDL and some experience and can get moving when the economy does.

Anyone have any advice how to survive DS? I don't think the training could be any harder or stressful than the training I had in the EMT program.

I know trucking can be stressful, but at least I don't have to worry about anyone dying on me. (Within reason)

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hopetobeontheroadsoon

Hopetobeontheroadsoon Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2009
    farmington MO
    Hello good luck, please keep posting, I am waiting for my DS school date. Will be going to Springfield, next week or the week after. And I chose to go with USA after. Hope all works out for you. Fiore

4. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Good luck to ya driver. Be safe

5. YoungPete

YoungPete Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Well guys im in the same boat with you. I havent submitted my application yet but all i have to do is click submit. Ive talked to their recruiters but none of them will ever give me an answer of where my training will be at. I live in oklahoma and would like to train here so that i dont have to change my license over from another state and pay even more fees. Anyone have any clues as to if they have a training cnter in oklahoma???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.