New help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nj trucker, May 25, 2017.

1. nj trucker

nj trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Hi I drive flatbed for local building supply company. Few days ago I got 2 tickets for Hazzard light and right turn signal light. Both were not working. I took truck to dealer ship to get it fixed they said it is a wiring issue it's not just the bulb and it will take 3 days to get it fix. Now the owner does not want to leave the truck in a shop for that long coz it's really busy time for his business. I don't have any choice beside drive like that or quit working for him. I really like this job also getting decent pay. What can I do for my safety if get pull over again. I drive within 50 miles of his business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. metallifreak10

metallifreak10 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    The owner won't consider just renting a truck for you in the meantime?

crb and nj trucker Thank this.
  4. nj trucker

Jan 21, 2016
    Thanks for quick reply. he can't rent another same truck coz this is customized truck with crane attached to it.

5. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    You document the issue, write it up on your DVIR (which you should be doing daily) and put the truck out of service. If the owner threatens you with any action whatsoever, you explain to him or her that the company's name is about to be changed to a name of your choosing.

nj trucker and metallifreak10 Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    What you do is tell owner to fix it then and ask him for another trk or tell him to call you once its fixed.That's selfish of your boss to not care about your cdl.Its dangerous not having a working turn signal especially in a trk.You need to put your foot down and tell boss NO otherwise he will continually take advantage of you.

STexan and nj trucker Thank this.
  7. nj trucker

Jan 21, 2016
    I just told him I m not going to drive this truck until it's fixed. He said he will call me when it's fix. I can stay home until then. Any body know where can I find dvir log book in NYC? Or I need to go to truck stop which are far from here.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    nj trucker Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    there are repair garages that send out service trucks when the truck is down for the night. it can be fixed during that time, i am surprised your boss either does not know this, or just does not want to shell out the money for a more complex repair.

anytime YOU drive that thing with DEFECTS, YOU WILL get that ticket. now, you really have to worry about a DOT inspection and points on your PSP.

nj trucker Thanks this.
  10. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    That truck should have a DVIR log in it if you are not on ELD, if no book in the truck, your boss should supply one when asked for one. You should not be supplying one on your dime.

nj trucker Thanks this.
  11. nj trucker

Jan 21, 2016
    I asked him before he said if u drive local u don't need one

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.